New Coldwater Build for Pierce McBubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerFusion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Coldwater Fish Lovers,

I have recently purchased a Marineland 75 Gallon Majesty Ensemble from PSmart, and I was asked to post a New Build Thread!! This aquarium is for my Daughter's Beautiful Shubunkin (Pierce McBubbles) that she won at our local Carnival. He is currently in a 10 gallon tank.

So far the components I have Set Up are:
  • Marineland 75 Gallon Aquarium - 48"W x 18"D x 21"H
  • Marineland Majesty Stand
  • Marineland 36" Single Bright LED Bar
  • Fluval 406 Canister Filter
  • Black Marina ClearView Background (installed with ClearView Gel)
  • Aqueon 21" Flexible Bubble Wand
  • American DJ PC-100A Power Strip with Switches from Guitar Center (makes turning off filters and air pumps much easier)
  • Homemade shelf with ADJ mounted under it (inside stand... I am not much of a wood worker)

I am waiting for the following (some coming today and some next week):
  • Marineland Emperor 400 HOB Filter
  • Python No Spill Clean 'N Fill Aquarium Maintenance System (50')
  • Caribsea Instant Aquarium "Peace River" Substrate
  • Aqueon 21" Flexible Bubble Wand (for the right side)

Ironically, the item I need First, is the Last to come!!! (Substrate)

For some reason, I can only post 1 picture at a time???

Under Construction... More to come!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 312
American DJ PC-100A

This is the Best Addition to an Aquarium!!! Pardon my poor wood working skills. The top was originally going to be a platform bird feeder...:blink:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 330
Thank you Outlaw,

I am heading to PSmart to check out some New Arrivals... May pick up a couple Tank Mates for Pierce's New Digs!! They are getting a shipment of Gold Dojo Loach!

Great news for Pierce McBubbles! And his friend fish. They will love all the room and have a chance to grow up and live a long happy life.

Getting There!!

Just added the Marineland Emperor 400 (with extension tube cut to right length) and the second Aqueon 21" LED Flexible Bubble Wand (routed air hoses, but waiting for 4 gang valve from 10 gallon)

I will add air pumps and Ornaments from 10 gallon until I can get more substantial ones.

Substrate on Monday!!

So Far So Good?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 992
Possible problem

I was looking at the tank with the filters installed... I have one drawing from the left and one drawing from the right, but I think I need a little something. The output of Both filters are on the right.

I ordered a Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 Pro from Drs F & S online to put on right wall (in Circulation Mode) to push water from right to left so I get good circulation of clean water and dirty water back to the intakes. I got the small one to keep from adding too much current.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
I picked out a Beautiful Gold Dojo Loach (Juvenile) today!!! He is so cute!! He is a Gorgeous Deep Yellow! I have him in the 10 gallon tank with Pierce and they are already getting to know each other(no Bullying). At one point the Dojo was under our Pagoda ornament and Pierce swam in from behind and stopped right over top of the Dojo. I think they are gonna be Great Friends!

I have to name the Dodo Loach, but I am having a hard time telling the sex. I know the female has more rounded pectoral fins, but they are so tiny right now!! Not that we know what sex Pierce truly is :facepalm:

I would like a Chinese Name, possibly something like "Jin" which means Golden (If I am not mistaken).

Meet Jin Xing

Ok, after Much deliberation...... The name for our new Golden Dojo Loach is:

"Jin Xing" which in Chinese means "Golden Star" (Pronounced Gin Zing)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Only a few more days in the 10 gallon

Pierce and his new buddy Jin, waiting for the move to their new 75 gallon home. Only a few days left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 216
All up and Running!!!

Everything is here and installed!!! I need some bigger decor, but my 2 little buddies are Loveing their new home!!! I will try to get better pics soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 162
Another Shot

This one shows the LED's in my "River", and Pierce Zipping across his new 48" tank front! :fish2:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 162
I love the "river" idea!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get some more plants in there and its perfect. Goldfish love to snack on live plants so a fast growing floating plant like hornwort would be perfect! you can even anchor it don in the back and not float it.

Thank You!!

Thank you Niki!! I was worried about the choice to do that. The blue gravel is from the our 10 gallon tank. I wanted to use it to Jump Start the Biological Filter, along with the Caribsea Instant Aquarium Substrate that came loaded with good bacteria. We also had the bridge, so I wanted to incorporate that into an Asian Theme, but make a scene with it. Hopefully I will have more decorations on the way in the near future.

Thank You DallasCowboys!! I have been reading about Coldwater Plants... The plant I have now is a Marineland 3' Artificial Bamboo, that I pulled the tallest pieces off of... I am definitely going to start planting Live plants soon (and eventually take out the artificial. Thank you for the suggestion!! I will be picking up some Hornwart and maybe Anacharis. The substrate I have is the Caribsea "Peace River" which is quite small (1.0 - 2mm which is almost sand like). It should work well with coldwater plants without needing a dirt substrate.

My aquarium came with a Marineland Single Bright LED Bar... Not sure if that will provide enough of the proper light for plants. I will start slow with the Hardy Varieties, and see how they do... I am thinking of adding a Marineland Accent (Red) LED bar, that snaps onto the rim of the tank, under the glass canopy. It is rated at 640nm which added to the other white light (I Believe) will give the proper light wavelengths to grow plants. Plus it will "Warm Up" the color in the tank, which is very white right now. I think the red would add a neat look along with the white and blue of the Single Bright LED Bar.

Anyone have experience growing in Coldwater with LED's :?:

I'll be following for the cold water plant suggestions, only I only get natural light no hood on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think you should get another goldfish in there and another dojo loach so they each have a friend of the same species. Really great looking tank. I have a 45 gallon fully stocked 1 adult moor and a baby moor and a baby calico fantail and I cant wait to up grade to a 75gallon so I can get another calico fantail.

I think you should get another goldfish in there and another dojo loach so they each have a friend of the same species. Really great looking tank. I have a 45 gallon fully stocked 1 adult moor and a baby moor and a baby calico fantail and I cant wait to up grade to a 75gallon so I can get another calico fantail.

Agreewith the more dojo comment. They are very social animals and loaches always show there best behaviors in groups.

I definitely am going to get more Dojo/Weather Loach!!! Jin and Pierce are Great Friends already!! They swim and play together a Lot!! Not sure about the goldfish... Maybe another Shubunkin... I saw a cool Yellow one.

I am trying to find Unusual Sub-Tropical tank mates with good temperaments. I will most likely get a school of Zebra Danio or White Cloud Mountain Minnow. Looking into the Hillstream Loach, which is cool looking! Possibly Gold Barb?

Anyone familiar with Rosy Barb / Gold Barb Temperament with Comet type Goldfish and Loach???

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom