New Goldfish Care Taker!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big_Dee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello goldfish care takers out there. I just recently became a goldfish owner and I can't believe how much I enjoy it. I had a regular gold fish you win at the fair when I was a kid and of course I didn't know what I was doing back then sorry to say. But now, I am really into doing it right. I got a small fluval all in one tank and I am sold on them. I looking for a larger tank now and found some all in one tanks (acrylic) but the down side is they get scratched up......so it's a glass all in one even though they are heavier. I'm checking out one that has a drain for water changes how cool it that.... Probably not what most here would probably promote but I like how uncomplicated they are as well as the pumps/filters etc are hidden from view with a submersible quiet pump. So all you see is the fish to enjoy and it really looks nice too. I can't wait to give my guys a bigger home. Then I have to figure out what I am going to put in the smaller tank. I think the glow fish under LED's is pretty cool. Maybe some suggestions would help. I want small fish so I can put a few in and maybe a bottom feeder/algae eater too. Not to interested in the betta but might do that if I can get a really interesting one with a few gost shrimps maybe.

What type of gold fish do you have? Fancy, fan-tailed varieties will be fine with most any fish; but the faster swimming varieties, such as comets, shubunkins, etc, may catch and eat small tank-mates.
AS for algae eaters, most smaller sized plecos would do well. I would stay away from snails with gold fish, as the gold fish will pester them so that they never come out of their shells and slowly starve.
I don't think I've ever had gold fish in an aquarium, but have several different types in various outside ponds, and I would think a good rule of thumb would be at least 25 gallons per gold fish. Even the fancy varieties can reach 8-10". Comets and the like can get even larger.

Back
Top Bottom