Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-03-2022, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
Outdoor pond

We just purchased a 40 gallon outdoor pond thingy from home depot. We live in houston tx and we plan on putting it in the shade in our atrium. There would be 4 walls around it but the sun would periodically shine into it. Could I use just a normal sponge filter in it? Is there anything different I need to do to it than I would a normal aquarium?

__________________
corn_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,562
40 gallons? I wouldn't put anything besides some rosy red minnows or mosquito fish in it unless you have a bigger one to move up to. If your water doesn't get to cold or you can put a heater in it - your options are greater. You COULD use a sponge filter, but they make "all in one" filters that provide you the ability to have a small fountain in the pond, and they're designed to be outdoors. With the sponge you'll be concealing the air pump and keeping it dry.
__________________
enrgizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
40 gallons? I wouldn't put anything besides some rosy red minnows or mosquito fish in it unless you have a bigger one to move up to. If your water doesn't get to cold or you can put a heater in it - your options are greater. You COULD use a sponge filter, but they make "all in one" filters that provide you the ability to have a small fountain in the pond, and they're designed to be outdoors. With the sponge you'll be concealing the air pump and keeping it dry.


I was thinking of those fish as well. Im helping to build it for my mom and she wants goldfish in it im tryna convince her otherwise. It gets kinda cold in the winter for a few days, but other than that itís always hot here. hereís what it looks like Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	323356
__________________
corn_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,562
I think guppies will offer the greatest variety of color and choice. I believe they'll tolerate water as low as 50F but don't quote me on that. Either way 40 gallons is easy to heat if needed. There's definitely subtropical aquarium fish that will fit the bill.
__________________
enrgizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
I think guppies will offer the greatest variety of color and choice. I believe they'll tolerate water as low as 50F but don't quote me on that. Either way 40 gallons is easy to heat if needed. There's definitely subtropical aquarium fish that will fit the bill.


Guppies sounds cute! I always have extra heaters lying around so I think imma do guppies thank you
__________________
corn_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn_pea View Post
We just purchased a 40 gallon outdoor pond thingy from home depot. We live in houston tx and we plan on putting it in the shade in our atrium. There would be 4 walls around it but the sun would periodically shine into it. Could I use just a normal sponge filter in it? Is there anything different I need to do to it than I would a normal aquarium?
Hello, I would be worried about how hot it gets in Houston. 40gal is not a lot of water & temps would fluctuate greatly even w/heater.
I'm not trying to be the fish police just giving you a heads up. Maybe consider a fully shaded area or even inside if you have room. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
Hello, I would be worried about how hot it gets in Houston. 40gal is not a lot of water & temps would fluctuate greatly even w/heater.
I'm not trying to be the fish police just giving you a heads up. Maybe consider a fully shaded area or even inside if you have room. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!


Oh yeah I forgot to mention, this pond would be in my atrium, which is still outside but there are walls on all 4 sides of the pond, therefore itís very shaded! I will definitely add more shade above it since the top of the atrium is open
__________________
corn_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 16,626
Depending upon how much room you have (or a place to hide it, under or behind plants, etc) you could make a 55G trash can filter. A DIY wood covering or something would also work, adding an extra 50G to the system.

It more or less is a giant filter. With lots of media to maximize BB area and multiply the water volume. Water is pumped into "can" (I used a plastic one) and then flows out when it gets to a certain height, pouring back into the pond.

Can she get a little bit bigger Pond / exchange it?

Guppies and Endlers are great! You might need to consider a hungry pond companion (to keep the baby numbers in check) or nice LFS to take them to later when the population goes up too much.
__________________
New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outdoor pond question GhostKnife Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds 11 03-10-2009 09:32 PM
If you have an outdoor pond or want one this is the place. fishfreek Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds 3 10-11-2006 03:23 PM
Outdoor SW pond Lance M. Saltwater Reef Aquaria 16 11-19-2005 04:14 AM
Outdoor Pond Pump happyhillbilly Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds 5 11-26-2004 04:05 PM
outdoor pond with comets Betty Dively Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds 14 05-18-2003 09:18 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.