Outdoor water bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J95pgt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I went to Thailand a few years back and kept seeing these big metal bowls that I thought were trash cans. After looking in one it was full of water with one lily and a guppy swimming around in it. I thought it was the coolest thing. I just recently decided to build something similar, but after searching the net there really isn't much to go on. I found enough to start my build, but have been having problems.

I have roughly a 16 gallon fiberglass pot with the bottom full of pebbles that I washed. I then have two bundles of parrots feather that I have been told produce oxygen, but have also been told they steal it.... I also have one other water flower. I have probably 5 big snails that keep the algey down, and now some other plants that are starting to pop up.

Anyway I put in two fancy guppies that quickly died. I thought maybe the water was chloinated or too hot. I bought some dechlorinator and a thermo. The water stays between 70 -80 but should get cooler as the plants take over the surface. I just bought two more guppies (2wks later) which were not fancy guppies. The first one I think jumped out and got eaten by my cat. There are misquito larve that it immediately was jumping out of the water to get. The other fish was more calm and would swim usually towards the mid/bottom.

Just yesterday he started swimming only at the very top of the water and seemed disoriented. I could put my finger in there and touch him and he would seem unaware. Other than that the fish would seemed fine, but I knew something was wrong. Then today he was dead. So, I dont know what is killing my fish. I dont know if it is the temp, lack of air, or bad water... Is there any tests I can run to rule these out. I feel bad for my fish. Thanks!

I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a few thoughts/questions.

1) have you tested the water itself for the usual tank (bioload produced)pollutants?
2) does anyone know if fiberglass leaches chemicals into the water -type of rocks too?
3) does the bowl sit in a sunny spot that would allow signficant temperature swings through the day?
4) is there a lot of surface are allowing for exchange? Or is it pretty narrow/tall?
5) Of the 16gal, how much of it is actually water - related to 3 and 4.

I keep a 50 gallon container with goldfish and have thought about adding guppies to further ensure that it's not a mosquito pool.

1) I have not tested. What do I need to get? I have heard of Ph testers, but is this what you are refering to?

2) Good point about the fiberglass. It has a coating all over it. I didn't realize it was fiberglass until a tiny corner of it was chipped and I could see the resin behind.

3) The bowl does sit in a fairly sunny spot all day. I moved it nearer to the house so it gets shade half the day. It is a balance because most of the plants need a lot of sun. That is why I think once I get more plant coverage the water temp should stableize.

4) I think the surface is fairly large. I know posts come in different shapes and sizes, but it is pretty generic shape, just on a larger scale.

5) I would say most of it is water. I have some pots turned upside down to create different elevations to stack the plants on. Plants cover about 20% of the surface.

Thanks for the reply. Ill keep at it and eventually get a good system.

you should research to find out if fiber glass pots are safe, you can get water tested at your local fish store or a petsmart or petco.

you should research to find out if fiber glass pots are safe, you can get water tested at your local fish store or a petsmart or petco.
I will take both of your advice and get it tested. Thank you! I didn't realize they could do this.

The local fish store is not going to be able to test for chemicals leaching out of whatever the pot is made out of, which I bet is the cause for the deaths if not the temperature of the water...

I would have used one of those half-barrel poly-vinyl ponds they sell at home-improvement stores instead of a container that I didn't know the chemical properties of...

Back
Top Bottom