Patio Pond and Mosquito Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Howdy, fish fiends! I was hoping to get your feedback and expertise on something I've been mulling around in my head for a while.

I love the idea of having a pond. Unfortunately, I'm renting, so that ain't gonna happen. Also, living where I do in Texas, there's only about 6" of substrate before you hit limestone.

The next best thing seemed like a big pot for a tiny "pond". I like the idea of having some pond plants and a little tiny ecosystem. Problem #2 is mosquitoes. Man, do we have so many mosquitoes! Which brings me to my main point.

How feasible is it to keep a year-round, 50 gallon or so pond container with enough mosquito fish to prevent it becoming a blood sucking breeder pond? I know mosquito fish can be tolerant of a wide range of temps, but it often gets to about 105 in the summer and as low as 20 over night in the winter. That said, I could certainly add a little heater.

I'm quite new to even the thought of a container pond. I've only kept traditional aquariums. Is filtration a huge requirement in this sort of set-up? How would water changes work? Is it wrong to think of it like any other 50 gallon aquarium?

This is a very good idea. You could start with just a couple fish and they will multiply like crazy! Definitely very do-able! Using plants like water hyacinths, water lettuce, and marginal pond plants will function as the bulk of your filtration. Rain is typically used as water changes in outdoor tubs, but if you don't get very much you can just do a regular water change if you need to. It is kind of like an aquarium, but in my opinion outdoor tubs are actually easier to maintain. I definitely recommend giving it a go!

Water troughs for livestock make excellent tub ponds by the way and they are much cheaper than glass tanks if you compare based on volume!

Awesome, thanks for the input!

We certainly have a rainy season, but for about half of the year we don't get enough rain and I've probably have to "top off" the thing every other day in the summer.

The water trough is an awesome idea.

I'm currently looking at some sort of HOB or little fountain system for agitation. Dwarf water lilies and maybe bamboo sound appealing, too. Water lettuce is illegal here, unfortunately.

Are there any other fish that would be appropriate for this sort of setup? Keeping in mind we have raccoons, skunks and hawks. I figure mosquito fish are too small and prolific to take much of a hit from predators.

Native minnows would be other potential candidates, or, if you're willing to bring the fish inside when it gets too cold, the domesticated livebearers would also be a good fit.

I kept an aquaponics system on my deck with a 75 gallon Rubbermaid agriculture water tub. 50 gallon tub for filter media and plants. Had crystal clear water year round with 7 goldfish. Got dicey when the males harassed the females and I did lose one to a jump. Keep it in the shade, goldies don't like tropical water. Have a large volume filter. It's doable.

Oh yeah. I had temps down to like 10F and I had nothing but a 500 gph circulator pump. Ended up with 8 inches of ice in the tub by the end of it. Fish were fine.

Back
Top Bottom