Pond I have been building

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bige

Aquarium Advice Addict
image-3165741788.jpg

This is after about six months of work. It rained a little and already holds water from just an inch of rain. It's about 150 ft long and 50 ft in the widest spot. Probably will stock with bass.

image-3253309925.jpg

This is some of the dirt that I made into a ramp for my mother in law to jump. Theres no landing ramp.

Awesome! Ive always loved having ponds... Unfortunately, now that I live in an apartment, I obviously cant have one. Where I grew up, we had one that was about 100 feet long and probably at least 60 wide, and almost 10' deep. It was a man made, spring fed beauty! Nestled right into the woods, surrounded by brush... Stocked with bass and some small fish... And of course big frogs!

How deep are you planning on making it? And out of curiosity... How much land do you own?

I have 35 acres. Its about 20ft deep and honestly, thats as deep as I can go. It took so much work to get it where it is. I can post a pic of the other pond I have. Its 70 x 70, at least. Its stocked with blue cats. Some are over 2 ft long. And taste so good! We have had a bad drought so there is no water.

image-2790602427.jpg

It's blue because of pond dye. It's still about 6 ft deep. Usually over 20, 25 ft deep. I'm building a pier tomorrow, at least starting it.

Very nice looking ponds you got there! I really like the in-law ramp, I need to invest in one of those. ;)

I can't imagine doing all that with a tractor. Must have taken.... well... six months! Give you credit for being persistent, I would have been calling up some of my miner buddies for some dynamite after the first month.

View attachment 61225

Here's a bridge I built over a little stream. It's about 22 ft long. Bought poles yesterday to build a roof to cover the bridge. Also bought wood to build a pier in the pond. It will be 8x6 with a 10 ft walk to the 8x6 part. It will also be covered.

Very nice looking ponds you got there! I really like the in-law ramp, I need to invest in one of those. ;)

I can't imagine doing all that with a tractor. Must have taken.... well... six months! Give you credit for being persistent, I would have been calling up some of my miner buddies for some dynamite after the first month.

I started it thinking it would be easy, then a month in I realized I was in over my head. But to save face, I had to finish it. It rained and filled a little before I could go any deeper. So the rain saved me. I have about 30 or so piles of dirt that are 15ft by 15ft hidden in the woods.

Now would be a great time to fix some brush in there for some crappie. I can't imagine doing that with a tractor either. I cleaned mine out a few years back with a long reach case excavator and it took me quite a while. Of course, it was full of water too.

Now would be a great time to fix some brush in there for some crappie. I can't imagine doing that with a tractor either. I cleaned mine out a few years back with a long reach case excavator and it took me quite a while. Of course, it was full of water too.

I have been looking for the right brush to through in. I think I will do bass. I don't think I can get crappie. I have big blue cats in the other tank. Largest being about 2 and half feet long.

I have used an excavtor on friend ponds before. It is hard because when full you can't see what your doing. At least with the tractor I could see the head way. Although slow.

2.5' is small! I saw pictures from the owner of a local paylake where he caught the state record blue cat... 112lbs I believe. And yeah, it's almost impossible to see... at least after the first scoop.

2.5' is small! I saw pictures from the owner of a local paylake where he caught the state record blue cat... 112lbs I believe. And yeah, it's almost impossible to see... at least after the first scoop.

They seem to grow slow after 2ft. Mine are only about 4 years old. There is one at the museum here that is 38 inches and weighed 99lbs.

Back
Top Bottom