Pond plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio8

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125 gallon pond that has both shallow and deep parts. The deepest part of the pond is 15ish inches deep. The pond is very shady and only gets about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight each day. It does not have a heater and the average temperature of summers here is about 75-80 during the day and 40ish at night. I live in hardiness zone 6 USAD. What aquatic plants would do well for this pond, if any?

Look for marsh plants. If you get an aquarium plant from a pet shop and it remains standing up when taken out of water, that is a marsh plant. They do best when they have wet feet and dry leaves but some also grow completely underwater.

Avoid water lilies because the water is too shallow for them and they need at least 6 hours of sun per day.

Are you looking for plants to grow under water and pop out of the water and / or along the sides/edges of the water?

One thing to check is with your county extension office if there are any plants which are invasive and a bad choice for your area.

In ground a great choice is yellow Flag Iris. Try to plant in the sunnier spot for best blooms. But often if trees aren't leafed out they still get some good sunshine to get a start. Marsh Marigolds.

My favorite shade plant is Golden Bacopa or Water Hyssop. Available at big box stores. It just brightens up everything.

Hosts would like the shady area around the pond

These are adorable - Dwarf cat tails
https://www.thepondguy.com/product/...f7LFPF6cEem2Mqjo2SlS-PuLUln8f0qhoCPeYQAvD_BwE

There are plenty of seasonal plants. Water Lettuce and water Hyacinth. Like annuals or have an indoor tub during winter.

You could grow moss attached to a DW. Coming out of the water. Find a bit locally. Add some terrestrial
mosses in little pockets around the edges.

Check your area also for carnivorous plants and make an awesome bog garden.

Is the pond built in ground?

I was thinking of plants that would grown in the water. The pond is in ground but it is a shell and sticks out of the ground about 4 inches. There are rocks stacked around the edge of the pond but they are easily removable.

We are planning to get a few goldfish for the pond. Plants that offer a little shelter would be good because we have raccoons and bears in our area.

I was researching plants and I was thinking Water Hawthorne? Would that be an ok choice?

Yes, that would work for your zone. As for the predators, you can add some protection with a wide flagstone overhang and braced in the pond bottom well for stability. You can silicone the pieces together.

Adding stones in the pond towards the sides of the overhang/ ledge create spaces for the fish to slide in and more difficult for predators.

Raccoons have arms which can stretch pretty far, and have a better opportunity to grab for them even through a crevice so if you do build it keep that in mind.

There are ways to deter predators like fishing line crisscrossed over the space, and motion activated sprinklers, though doubt those work well in night if the sensor can see. I doubt, but don't know if keeping a light on or motion activated light over it would still work with the sensor.

Back
Top Bottom