Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to AngelFishFan
Protein Skimmer For Pond Use

I have an idea:
What I were to hook up a protein skimmer to my pond? And have an overflow flow into a 5-gallon bucket and only have to empty it every so often? I was just thinking of a way to get rid of excess nutirents and proteins in the water, and this came to mind. I may try it either way, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 12-18-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For that much water and especially since it is freshwater you would need a homongous reaction chamber and an even more humongouser pump IMO.

Some kind of bio filtration would do much better 4 U. You could make a big giant DIY wet/dry using a water pump and pond floss on a big bio wheel.

Heck, you could make it out of an old humidifier I bet.

Old 12-18-2003, 12:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to AngelFishFan
You really dont think a protein would work? It isnt my problem, its just trying to invent new ways of filtration for my clients. Filtration is already good, but I just am trying to add on to make the water quality more "pure".
Old 12-18-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The problem with skimmers and freshwater is that the surface tension of freshwater is just not high enough to make skimming an effective form of DOC removal. As was said you would need a very large reaction chamber. We would be talking several feet tall and fairly large in diamater. The only reason skimmers work in saltwater is that the natural surface tension in saltwater is higher allowing the skimmer to operate effectivly.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Fishinapond Send a message via MSN to Fishinapond
They do make commercial skimmers for fresh water and ponds. I don't know of any distributors in the US, but I've heard good things from the Brits on other forums.

I can't find the site at the moment, but you can do a search for Febi Turbo Cleaner.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

don't know much about it, but my lab buys equipment from Aquatic Eco Systems, and they sell stuff. check this page out.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1...88514406472774

HTH

Tags
pond, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com