Pumps...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueCrystalMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think my 1200 GPH falls pump is down to about 500 GPH... does it need to be cleaned? I pulled the basket off the end and there were leaves and stuff inside it, so I can only imagine that some gunk got into the pump. Supposedly it is 'rebuildable'... is this something I can do myself? Does it need to be rebuilt? Is there anything else I can check?

It pumps through the UV unit, then into the biofalls...

Yeah, when you took the basket off the end could you see and clean the impeller? Frequently in ponds pumps it's tricky to get to, but there should be a way for you to get it completely cleaned out. Did you keep the paperwork that came with the pump? Let us know the make and model too, maybe somebody here has the same type. You've only been running this pump a few months, now way should it need to be "rebuilt."

Thats great news! Thanks cc! The paperwork is in the garage. I'll post everything for ya tomorrow.

One other thought... generally, when I shut the falls down, the water drains back down the hoses into the pond. Drainage is extremely slow now... used to be fairly rapid. So now that I think about it, corv may be right on the money. HUGE sigh of relief...

One thing you can do to help prevent the pump getting cloged is put a pair of nylons over the basket. The most you should have to do then is wipe off the nylons occationally. You can also use bridal netting. It allows larger particles through wich would allow your filter to pull the particles from the water, but at the same time it doesnt allow in the pieces that are large enough to clog the pump.

Thanks, Squish... I have a sponge filter over my fountain pump intake, which needs to be cleaned pretty much weekly... This was my first problem with the falls pump... I pulled it out this morning and what happened was a couple pieces of that floating oxygenator (kinda looks like a pine branch... not sure what its called) had gotten sucked in. Pulling that out rescued it hopefully til the end of the season...

BCman, just an fyi, i clean my pump weekly, or at most every 2 weeks. If you set up your pond right, you should just be able to turn off the power, lift the pump out and clean it. For me it takes no more than 10 minutes, usually about 5. The pump will last many years longer if you clean it more regularly than you are. infrequent cleaning = the pump straining and getting hot. keep it as clean as you can and it is easier on the pump, no strain. My first pump lasted 6 years, which is a lot longer than I've heard from others. Matter of fact, it still worked, it was the electric cord that wore out and was leaking voltage.

Just rinse out the week's crud. I take off one plastic piece designed to pop off and back on for easy cleaning. Actually, I use Cal pumps, never really took one apart any further that I just described. pop off that 1 piece and you can access all the parts that can possibly get clogged.

Back
Top Bottom