Questions about a koi pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queenofdragons

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am interested in having a few koi in a pond/fountain I want to build.
We are wanting a fountain like the one below in the attachment except bigger : approximately 8 feet long by 5 feet wide and either 3-4 feet deep.
1. Is it possible to have koi in a fountain like this?
2. Do we need to have a separate waterfall feature too or would the bubblers provide enough oxygenation?
3. Do we need a filtration system? Or can we buy fish that eat algae?
4. Could we put some plants in it too (lotus, for example. I would keep them in the bucket so the roots wouldn't destroy the fountain).

I appreciate all of your input. My husband's grandfather used to keep koi and he passed away and this is kind of like our memorial to him :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 80

1. Is it possible to have koi in a fountain like this?

2. Do we need to have a separate waterfall feature too or would the bubblers provide enough oxygenation?

3. Do we need a filtration system? Or can we buy fish that eat algae?

4. Could we put some plants in it too (lotus, for example. I would keep them in the bucket so the roots wouldn't destroy the fountain).

1. Yes. I'm not sure how many but keep in mind that koi can get large and need adequate space.
2. You don't need a fountain but providing water movement is necessary for proper has exchange.
3. Yes. Aside from trapping physical waste, filters will breakdown toxic ammonia into less harmful waste products. Algae comes in many forms (floating, string, mat) and filters will not always remove them. Some fish will consume certain, but not all, types of algae. Providing stable and healthy water conditions along with not over feeding or over crowding will help control algae. Barley straw or barley straw extract can help reduce floating (pea soup) green algae.
4. Yes. Lotus or water lilies can be used. Koi do like to dig and measures need to be taken to reduce their disruptive behavior (large gravel, netting). Floating plants such as water lettuce or water hyacinth are great and consuming nutrients and providing shade. However, koi often find the roots tasty. Placing them in a protective "cage" will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1. Yes. Your plan is 900g(at 3ft) and 1200g(at 4ft). With proper filtration you could easily fit 3-5 adult koi depending on what they end up topping out at. Goldfish are another option and you can have quite a few more at that size because they top out at one third the size.

2. You don't need a fountain or waterfall. Air stones are more than sufficient even without a filter. You don't even need bubblers if you have a filter.

3. Absolutely you will need a filter eventually, but not for several months if you are starting with fingerlings and you don't feed every day. I would shoot for something so that your gph is 1.5-2 times the volume of your pond, and your media should be significant to have clean water. Also, a UV clarifier/sterilizer is a good investment if you want clear water.

Koi and gold fish are poop machines, prepare for turtle-level solids and bio filtration, basically. More is better, I'm currently working on building a new filter for mine.

4. Yes you can have plants but koi are root feeders

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom