Red spot on the mouth of my Goldie please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hassannaveed11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys I need some help. I'm in severe pain as i see my goldfish having a red spot. I changed water cleaned aquarium. I had an Algae boom in my tank and have to clean the water but now I see this. Please advise if anyone knows what disease is this or its just a cut...

Attachments

• 20220214_015521.jpg
    20220214_015521.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220214_020026.jpg
    20220214_020026.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220214_015608.jpg
    20220214_015608.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220214_015925.jpg
    20220214_015925.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 34
Can you give some more details on the tank and its inhabitants please.

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

It looks like an infection, possibly parasitic, possibly caused by poor water parameters.

You said you cleaned the tank and did you replace the filter pads?

Check for the tank parameters is it a dip stick or water test with drops?
Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte

any others if you have it on the test

Last edited:
Thank you very much guys for the prompt reply. I use Sunwin filter 603b it 30GL tank and have one adult father goldie and 4 baby goldfish their mom died last month. Unfortunately, I haven't done any water tests I do not have a kit I just try my best to keep the levels in control by introducing the beneficial bacteria and doing 30% water changes every other week. It had worked for more than a year perfectly fine they were so happy that they reproduced too (one of the happiest days).

I cleaned the aquarium in which I changed 80% of the water as it was full of algae I mean it was a lot of algae. Does having too much algae harmful for the fish I heard that algae are good for fish.

What can I do to treat this parasite infection?

Waiting for your reply

It didn't seem known if it was a parasite???

I cant link it right now, but if you ho to the top of the page
Articles
Search for "disease" and there's a good article written by Len to help figure it out.

Getting the water tested by a fish store or buying a liquid test kit would be useful.

Check my signature link article for really solid info for tank keeping.

My Goldie is ok. He is not lethargic or something eating normally swimming normally but with the red spot... the spot is getting smaller though. Hoping for the best ..

Keeping the water the cleanest, with no toxic conditions would be good. Daily water changes, or at least every other day.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fish-disease-index-for-diagnosis-and-treatment/

If you get the water tested and find out what the parameters are, that can help you identify what is going on.

Ammonia poisoning can cause splotches, and often looks like beeding under the scales.

NitrIte poisoning can be seen in the gills a greyish and or brownish red. That is very serious. B- ecause your fish needs the gills to function well to get oxygen.

Nitrate poisoning fish can act aggressive or dart around, hide, have clamped fins.

When you change the water you reduce the toxic effect but it can build back up again and knowing the numbers will really help figure out what is going on.

That article I mentioned will help get a good solid foundation for keeping fish and a safe tank.

Hope all will be well.

Back
Top Bottom