Sago Pondweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think this is the right spot for this..

I am a member of a local lake conservation committee. We treat the lake every spring for eurasian water milfoil and curly leaf pond weed; at a recent meeting I brought up possibly planting sago pondweed in the areas we treated. We already have sago in the lake, and I think adding more would help it spread and out compete the invasives.

I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased sago before, or would kbow where it can be bought from. I have found Kester Wild Game Food Nursery Inc and 1 other company, but was wondering if there are more.

Finally what is everyone's thoughts on something like this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just got the OK from the IDNR. :):):) now I have more research into pro's and con's before I email the committee president about my findings :):):)
Email from IDNR below
"Hi Michael,

There are no permits needed to purchase aquatic vegetation from a*nursery*that sells it and plant it in your lake as long as you have the permission of the lake owner where your planting the vegetation. In Illinois, the bottom owner owns the vegetation, much like a farmer owns the plants in his field.

Sago is a native, like you mentioned, and is an early*successional*species which tends to show up before some other native pondweeds begin to establish themselves.* Sago usually*grows in water less than 3 or 4 feet deep so it's generally a near shore species.*

Let me know if you have any other questions.* I suspect the Lake County Health Department (Mike Adams crew) might have a source if you need help finding someone who sells native pondweeds.* FJ

Frank Jakubicek

IDNR*-*District Fisheries Biologist

8916 Wilmot Road

Spring Grove, IL* 60081"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom