Silk, plastic, real plants suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
People suggest will plants are better because plastic ones might rip gold fishes tails and fins. I can see how the pointy plastic plants might tear their fins but what about the rounded edge ones in shape of lily pads? I can see how a rounded edge will tear their fins.

I've tried real plants but they never seem to do well in a goldfish tank on

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not because the goldfish eats them but what I think is the temperature.

Temperature doesn't much affect plants unless it's extreme. It's probably related to improper nutrients or lighting.

Caleb

Temperature doesn't much affect plants unless it's extreme. It's probably related to improper nutrients or lighting.

Caleb

But doesn't goldfish produce a lot of nutrients ? Every time I put plants in there it always yellows and dies.

Fish poop which will turn into ammonia which can be used as a fertilizer to the plants. That does not provide all the other essential nutrients they need.

Caleb

I like silk. I move my decor around too much for a plant to thrive. Petsolutions.com has good prices on them.

I've used plastic plants with goldfish before and had no issues. I think it's kindof an overblown issue, to be honest. If you're really worried about it, silk is quite a nice substitute. Goldfish are likely to eat real plants.

In my opinion, fake plants are easier and less likely to die - if they did die, you would probably be doing something horribly wrong ? - but if you get hardy live plants and provide them with proper nutrients, it will be much more rewarding and aesthetically pleasing.

I use the rubbery fake coral, great vibrant colours and smooth and bouncy no sharp edges. Great for moors and telescope fancies.

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Goldfish produce plenty of nitrogen for any low light plant like anubias or swords, but you need to add some fertilizer that have iron and other trace minerals. This is easily accomplished with a root tab. Also you can look at your lighting. If you have a 48" tank you can get shop lights and bulbs cheap at Wal-Mart or home depot. maybe Lowe's, not sure. I have a 48" shop light with two T8 bulbs and a timer. I think it cost 25 bucks for the whole thing.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The plants you were trying may have just been melting and you either didnt give it enough time to acclimate or it never survived the melt before you pitched it. With live plants, the dead leaves need pruned. You could also try floating plants. Duckweed aka tank herpes grows at incredible speeds seemingly accidentally and can withstand the cold water. Frogbit is bigger than duckweed and I have heard of goldfish owners using both of these to help filter the ammonia and nitrites from the water, but also to give the goldfish something to nibble on :)

Back
Top Bottom