So hard to say no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankfan

Aquarium Advice Regular
My younger brother wants to get a fish tank. But has no money. All he can afford are those bowls that are 1-2 gallon max. He wants to get a goldfish and I told him no it won't do. So he has been saving and saving up but wants to get it now. He only has enough for a ten gallon tank right now. What do I do? Do I just pitch in or let him buy the ten gallon. Ugh

I would buy a bigger tank
Common Goldie's like the black moor I have need 30 gallons, but you can(and you can although many people tell you you can't) add about 4 white cloud mountain minnows and about 12 ghost shrimp
You can only add these fish if you have 2 30 gallon filters and change about 75% of the water weekly
Good luck:)

It's so hard to say no to him. But I just bought my second tank and getting my new fish soon. So I don't want to hand over a bunch of cash ugh but I don't want the fish he gets to be sick and stressed

Maybe take him to the store and show him his options for a ten gal and see of any of the fish appeal to him. Then show him his options if he waits and gets a 20g or larger. He could get a male Betta for a 10g or get a scarlet badis or sparking gourami with a school of 6 ember tetras or chili rasbora and 6 pygmy cory.

My younger brother wants to get a fish tank. But has no money. All he can afford are those bowls that are 1-2 gallon max. He wants to get a goldfish and I told him no it won't do. So he has been saving and saving up but wants to get it now. He only has enough for a ten gallon tank right now. What do I do? Do I just pitch in or let him buy the ten gallon. Ugh
Find an aquarium on craigslist. A lot cheaper.

He's 10 So he has really no way to make money besides chores so I've been letting him do some of my chores and paying him. I just told him don't spend any money till summer and he should have enough.

He's 10 So he has really no way to make money besides chores so I've been letting him do some of my chores and paying him. I just told him don't spend any money till summer and he should have enough.
Tell him to keep waiting and that it will be worth it. He will get over it I'm sure:) or you can tell him to get other smaller fish:)

Since I was 2 weeks old I have had goldfish(same ones today!) And they started out in a 7 gallon tank. Then we only had two but one turned out to be a koi carp so grew to a foot fast. We just kept upgrading and to this day I am still upgrading for my 20 odd year old fish. I would just let him get the tank with a comet or something and in a year or so he can get a bigger tank maybe for a birthday or christmas? Goldfish have so much more personality than other fish and at that age he should really enjoy watching and feeding one.

Since I was 2 weeks old I have had goldfish(same ones today!) And they started out in a 7 gallon tank. Then we only had two but one turned out to be a koi carp so grew to a foot fast. We just kept upgrading and to this day I am still upgrading for my 20 odd year old fish. I would just let him get the tank with a comet or something and in a year or so he can get a bigger tank maybe for a birthday or christmas? Goldfish have so much more personality than other fish and at that age he should really enjoy watching and feeding one.
I wouldn't say they have more then other fish. They lack of a few things. I would say oscars have a bigger personality then most fish.

Is he sure he wants a goldfish? You could show him some other fish he could put in a 10 gallon :)

Just find one used locally in craigslist. I found a 10 gallon for $10 a few months ago. It came with an air pump heater, and a filter that I think is actually for a 50 gallon or bigger. Just shows you what kind of deals are out there. Start with a used then if he gets out of the hobby he hasn't lost much.

Try Facebook ! In my area there are some swap shop pages for towns and surrounding counties and such. People jus post what they want to buy and post what they have to sell. I got my 30g long tank with 3 pumps 3 heaters glass top, 2or 3 filters and. Bunch of aquarium stuff for $40 ! Tank needed a good cleaning but hey it was a great deal and I'm glad I found it lol hopefully y'all can find one!

Try Facebook ! In my area there are some swap shop pages for towns and surrounding counties and such. People jus post what they want to buy and post what they have to sell. I got my 30g long tank with 3 pumps 3 heaters glass top, 2or 3 filters and. Bunch of aquarium stuff for $40 ! Tank needed a good cleaning but hey it was a great deal and I'm glad I found it lol hopefully y'all can find one!

Tried posting on facebook that I was looking for a tank... Nobody I (or my mom) knows on fb has a tank... Or at least nobody commented...

I have a 55g with oak stand, filter, heater & fake plants he can have for free. Someone gave it to me & I already have 2 tanks. Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom