Temps for optimal growth and activity??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello :) I've been doing lots of reading about Goldie's....watching lots of you tube tutorials by 'solid gold' She seems to know her stuff.

What temp do you keep your fancy gold fish in? What do u think about keeping the temp slightly elevated to increase metabolism, growth etc.?? I understand this would mean a possibly shorter life span :-/

Interested in your experience, thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't use a heater. A unheated tank at room temperature is fine for goldies. Yes higher temperatures increase metabolic rate. But cold water fish should live in cold water. If you want to use a heater get tropical fish.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

It's not that I want to use a thermometer, I thought it would be useful in keeping things stable....I live in Scotland :)

I assumed people used them even in Goldie tanks to keep water from fluctuating too much.

I was keen to know what temp people kept their Goldie's tanks at?

Its OK for temperature to naturally fluctuate. As this change often happens slowly and would happen in goldfish ponds. Goldfish are well suited to cold water and being located in Scotland would cause no problem. Its sudden drastic changes in temperature that are a problem. Ie the tank water is cold and waterchange is done with hot water. Other than this I wouldn't worry about the water temperature. Personally I wouldn't bother using a heater or anything to keep water temperature even. If the heater malfunction and rose too high this would cause stress and possible death. All you will find when the water temperature naturally changes due to the changing seasons is they may engage in spawning behaviour.

If you want optimal growth tank size and feeding are more important factors than temperature. Ideally and this is a minimum. Comments goldfish need 30-40gallons each and will out grow this side tank evenutally can grow to 12inches so ideally suited to ponds longterm. Fancy goldfish can grow to 9inches. 20-30gallons minimum for 1. All goldfish are social so ideally you want a big tank with at least two. Feed under 1year olds small multiple meals daily reduce feeding after they reach adulthood. Feed sinking pellets ideally this will reduce risk of swim bladder diease common in goldfish. Also feed veggies weekly. Peas (parboiled and deshelled) , broccoli, any green veg, some fruits can be given. Research. Feed variety this helps for optimal growth. Blood worms, shrimp as treats. Frozen/live best.

If you want optimal growth tank size and feeding are more important factors than temperature. Ideally and this is a minimum. Common goldfish need 30-40gallons each and will out grow this size tank eventually can grow to 12inches so ideally suited to ponds longterm. Fancy goldfish can grow to 9inches. 20-30gallons minimum for 1. All goldfish are social so ideally you want a big tank with at least two. Feed under 1year olds small multiple meals daily reduce feeding after they reach adulthood. Feed sinking pellets ideally this will reduce risk of swim bladder disease common in goldfish. Also feed veggies weekly. Peas (parboiled and deshelled) , broccoli, any green veg, some fruits can be given. Research. Feed variety this helps for optimal growth. Blood worms, shrimp as treats. Frozen/live best.

Thanks for all the info :) I am doing lots of reading/research, that includes asking questions on here to hear more about first hand experience. Appreciate your reply.

Husband has agreed it would be 'nice' to have larger, interactive fish (have tropical community tank) so I think my Goldie tank is not to far off........

My indoor fish range in temperature from 68 (winter) to a max of 75f in the summer (without the AC on). They generally stay around 72-74f though.

Outdoors is a bit different. Pond temps run from below freezing to a max of @80f (even during the hottest summers). Although these fish spend few months in warmer temps and high metabolism/activity, this is balanced with many months of minimal activity/almost nonexistent metabolism (they are not fed from the end of Oct until mid/late April).

Outdoor tub fish (and some pond fish) are brought inside when temps hit the low 50's as they can not handle the cold.

I do not agree with intentionally keeping goldfish at high temps to speed growth and metabolism. With fancies, speeding up growth can result in further developmental issues that they are already prone to due to breeding and genetics. Increased metabolism also equates to more food and lots more water changes. In fancies in particular, this can result in kidney destruction (and a very short lifespan).

Unless you are seeking to produce fish commercially for quick sale, I do not see any benefit to forcing natural growth and metabolism. The only exception can be with keeping fry slightly warmer but this goes hand in hand with constant feeding and daily wcs. Hope this helps a bit!

My indoor fish range in temperature from 68 (winter) to a max of 75f in the summer (without the AC on). They generally stay around 72-74f though.

Outdoors is a bit different. Pond temps run from below freezing to a max of @80f (even during the hottest summers). Although these fish spend few months in warmer temps and high metabolism/activity, this is balanced with many months of minimal activity/almost nonexistent metabolism (they are not fed from the end of Oct until mid/late April).

Outdoor tub fish (and some pond fish) are brought inside when temps hit the low 50's as they can not handle the cold.

I do not agree with intentionally keeping goldfish at high temps to speed growth and metabolism. With fancies, speeding up growth can result in further developmental issues that they are already prone to due to breeding and genetics. Increased metabolism also equates to more food and lots more water changes. In fancies in particular, this can result in kidney destruction (and a very short lifespan).

Unless you are seeking to produce fish commercially for quick sale, I do not see any benefit to forcing natural growth and metabolism. The only exception can be with keeping fry slightly warmer but this goes hand in hand with constant feeding and daily wcs. Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks so much for all the info and your time taken to respond :)

I had/have no intention in purposely increasing a future Goldie's tank temp in the hope to push growth etc. Was just curious as to whether this was common practise. Thanks again for answers :)

Back
Top Bottom