The one thing I havent heard....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
What kind of water do you use for your pond? I was thinking of installing a well, but if thats not possible, Im assuming it would be just water from the hose right? It seems pretty impracticle to run a Ro/Di unit for a 2000 gallon pond!

Also..what has this done to your water bill?

Squishy

Just run it from the hose! If it's good enough for human consumption its good enough for goldfish. You would do well to buy a giant-size jug of dechlorinator for initial fill up, and for times when you drain more than 20% or the pond and refill. For topping off, I use no dechlor at all. The waterfall and stream, with all the splashing, dissipates the chlorine pretty quickly.

I pay my water bill 4x per year, I think it's about 10 bucks more per payment. not too bad. I think the pump costs about ten bucks a month in electricity also. None of these costs will break the bank for me.

The worst was 2 years ago, we had a drought and were under water restrictions. I wasn't supposed to use the hose at all, but I did break the rules about 4 times that summer only when the water level was severly low. be danged if I was gonna let my fish die. Pretty funny running the hose at 1am in the pitch darkness as to not get caught!

how would they catch you if the pond is in the back yard?

Thanks for the info on the water and the utilities...thats pretty much what I thought.

how would they catch you if the pond is in the back yard?

One of my neighbors (since divorced and moved away), I had a dang good fued going on with him. Wouldn't put anything past Crazy John! He could see my pond from his 2nd story widow.

"Just because I'm paranoid, don't mean they ain't out to get me!"
:lol: :lol:

I did use the hose as little as possible, tried my best to be responsible. A lot of other folks had their lawn sprinklers running in the middle of the night, I was spying too! Didn't turn anybody in though, I can't be THAT much of a hypocrite.

I am on well water, but my dad is on city. When the big drought hit 2 years ago, he bought 2 50 gal trash can and used a big tarp to funnel rain water to them. Looked really funny but he always had water to refill with. I sure was glad we did not have any water problems with the well as I was having to add about 6 inches a week during the peak of it. Sure hope we do not have to go throught that again any time soon.

Was your well expensive? thats what we were wanting to do to refill the pond, but I have no idea wha I'm looking at as far as price.

The well was dug when we built the house 15 years ago. If my memory serves me right, it was $10 per foot. That was a turn key price including the pump. The going rate in NC now is about $15 per foot plus the pump. The final cost is going to depend on how far down they have to go to hit water. They hit water on ours at 15 feet. I took a gamble and had them go anopther 50 on top of that. I say gamble because you can punch through the water level and hit dry again. Had a friend of mine that did that and had to go to over 250 feet to get water. Glad I did go the extra as we have had water for 15 years now and never had a problem. Even in the hight of the drought 2 years ago, we never even sturred the bottm. Got real lucky. Well pushed 17 psi. For here that is real good. My next door only get 10 psi. Hie stoped at 20 feet. Best to check with the wells in the area befor going deeper than reccomendd by the well digger. They are usually very good at figuring how deep to go.

Why not just use straight city water out of your hose?

Problem is drought resrtictions on the water use does not allow for legal filling of fish ponds or tanks. Trying to come up with an alternative method.

Back
Top Bottom