Transporting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmptyH

Aquarium Advice Regular
There is a really good lfs about an hour away from my house. Do I need to take any special precautions when getting fish from somewhere so far away? How long can fish stay in those little bags before they run out of air?

They can stay in those bags for quite a while. That is how they are shipped to the lfs. When the employee is bagging them up, tell them that you are making a longer drive and ask them to put more air in the bag. When you get to the car, put them under something, like a coat. That way they are out of direct sunlight.

Um what i usually do is just put it in a bucket and half about half of the bucket filled up... avoid bumps and driving so fast so u can prevent stress on the fish and spills in ur car

Good to know, thanks. I am almost done with a fishless cycle of my 90 Gal tank, the Nitrites are dropping quickly. As soon as the Nitrites reach zero I am going to move the fish I have in the 10 Gal Qt tank over to the 90 and I am wanting to get some new fish in the Qt tank. This place has the best selection but I was afraid it was too far for the fish. I am glad to know that the fish will be ok during the trip.

Nah, it's not too far. We used to drive 3 1/2 hours each way to a lfs that we knew was the best in the area. We never lost a single fish.

our neighbors along time ago came from somewhere in wv that was about 3 hours away and they had the fish in a cooler the whole time

Find a stirofoam box or the good old esky. Most good fish shops will have pure Oxygen they can fill the bag with. As long as the temperature of the bag doesn't drop/rise, everything should be fine! Happy Buying :)

Back
Top Bottom