Tropicals in pools this summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is anyone out here planning or interested in breeding tropical outdoors this summer????

I'm considering it. I have some livebearers and egg layers I was considering using; blonde endlers, variety of Tanaka's guppies, least killifish, wild type swordtails/mollies/guppies, pseudomugil iriani, pseudomugil furcatus, Vietnamese white clouds, and tiger endlers. I've also considered apistogramma, and corys. My main concern is getting the fish sold at the end of summer.

I'm fortunate that I live close to msjinkzd and she bred furcatus and meteor minnows outdoors last summer. She was telling me that furcatus will eat their own eggs when left in the same tank, but tend not to do so when outside.

Last edited:
I've done the Endlers, Guppys, Least Killies, Swords, Platys, Variatus and Cory Cats. I also breed Belonasox, so over run just means more B-Sox fry get to grow out. This year I thinking of doing barbs early, due to lower temps, and gourima later in the season. Basically spawn and growout the barbs, move them and repeat with gouramis-All indoor spawned and fry moved. I'm also thinking about doing sailfin or some other sort of molly. With mollys my concern is the heat.

What types of pools and filtration do you use?

I want to keep things simple. I am buying any used pool liners that come across craigslist and I plan on buying food grade plastic barrels and cutting them in half. The barrels are my first choice because they make better use of space and are relatively inexpensive. For filtration I plan on using my XL poret filters. They will already have an established bacterial colony and are pretty idiot friendly with their setup and maintenance with the added benefit of aeration.

My main concern is finding a buyer at the end of summer. There are no more lfs's in this area and Petsmart and Petco already have suppliers. That leaves AquaBid, forum classifieds and fish club auctions. It would be useful if AquaBid had a wholesale section.

You need to see if there is a wholesaler anywhere near you. they don't pay as much, but will usually take fish although they usually want at least 50.

I've thought about finding a wholesaler. There are a few options in that direction. There is a home based fish store that currently takes my endlers and plants. There is also Batfishaquatics and Msjinkzd. I think its going to come down to what fish are the most marketable. I think higher end livebearers are the easiest to sell. Unfortunately most livebearer sales are one sided. I can sell my male guppies and endlers easier then I can sell pairs and trios to the general public. The females have no markings and are quite boring.

I am also considering shrimp and mystery snails.

Timber Wolf, I am looking for a wholesaler as well. I was a wholesaler for ten years back in the late 80s early 90s. I have transshipped and have no problem shipping out to the bigger wholesale operations. We need to hang together and maybe somebody will popup.

Not exactly a tropical pool, but I'm looking forward to hatching some largemouth bass fry in an old 10 gallon this summer. I have to catch the eggs from the lake first though, going to be pretty intense going in and fighting 6 pound bass to get at the eggs lol.....don't worry in our lake it is infested with bass and I will release the fry again anyway. Looking forward to it though...

Nils

I did this this summer with some white clouds and had numerous offspring out of the tub. Im going to setup about 4 or 5 this year and do a variety of egg layers. White clouds, gouramis, maybe some killifish, and maybe some endless for some live bearers. well see.

I would do some other species, but the only bass that we have stocked are Largemouth, Spotted and Striper. Which out of the easiest to catch and hatch are probably Largemouth. I could try some Blue Gill as well, might be able to support their diets longer.

Nils

I'm considering cherry barbs and pearl gourami along with my livebearers.

I'm also thinking about sail fin or golddust mollys.

I've also thought about mollies and I'm supposed to be picking up some this next week.

So far I'm leaning towards 2 types of blue eyed rainbows, Vietnamese white clouds, blonde endlers, tiger endlers, least killifish and a few types of guppies. I'm on the fence with mollies, corys, and killifish.

Is it possible to breed ancistrus, angelfish and apistogramma in a pool? I have 4 types if ancistrus, 3 types of apistos and 2 types of angels.

I'm planning on setting up several 50-300 gallon stock tanks for a variety of egg layers and livebearers this summer.

Fishobsessed7

Let me throw this out. Which types of fish can you put in pools together? And which ones do better in the spring and which ones in summer? And what should be the absolute smallest pond/barrel that should be used?

From what I've read most people say no smaller than 20 but fifty or more is much better.

My smallest and probably the only size will be 35g. If I need larger I was going to install bulkheads big enough to allow fish to pass between ponds.

So...any thoughts about the order in which fish can be placed outside (cold to warm)?

And what type of prep work needs to be done before pools go out?

My smallest and probably the only size will be 35g. If I need larger I was going to install bulkheads big enough to allow fish to pass between ponds.

So...any thoughts about the order in which fish can be placed outside (cold to warm)?

And what type of prep work needs to be done before pools go out?

What are you planning on stocking?

IDK were they get their stock.

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom