Ulcer on koi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason Buckner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I'm new to the forums and joined to be able to get advice and give advice. I have a problem with one of my koi. He/she has what I believe to be an ulcer on its side. I need advice on treatment. The fish is quarantined now and I plan on starting treatment today. I will try to post a pic. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to AA!!! Can you post a pic of the ulcer(s)? Depending on the severity, the best place to start is by cleaning the ulcer with iodine or hydrogen peroxide, increase the salinity to minimum of .3% and start feeding a medicated antibiotic food such as Medikoi (available from the Goldfish Connection- they also have additional info on treatment). If the ulcer is severe/multiple ulcers, I strongly suggest contacting an aquatic vet who can prescribe injectable antibiotics & further aid in treatment. Heres some additional sites/info in addition to the Goldfish Connections site. Good luck!

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/articles/details.php?articleId=178&parentId=23
Koivet Forum
Bacterial ulcers are a common fish disease problem, particularly with ornamental pond fish such as goldfish and koi.

Last edited:
It is an Ochoa Shigure. I have had it about 11/2 months. He was eating good but the spot kept getting bigger so my wife as I both got worried about him. It is one of our favorites.

Ouch! It doesnt look like its necrotized extensively into into his muscle tissue but I am also just looking at a pic- in person the situation may be worse. I would strongly suggest inspecting your other fish for anything suspect. If its just a single fish with these symptoms, it may have been the result of injury but if there are others with similar symtpoms, it indicates that there is something amiss in your pond. Please check on the sites I posted- they have more extensive information on ulcer treatment beyond the basics I suggested. Right now, he has a very positive prognosis for full recovery although do not hesitate to seek the aid of an aquatic vet if you feel the situation is beyond what you are comfortable handling or if he does not show marked improvement/continues to get worse. Good luck! :)

So far he is still alive but we lost a butterfly matsuba ad dont know why. She was a little bloated so after she was dead I cut her open to try to find out why and water came out of her. But we found out she was full of eggs too. Sux!

I am very sorry to hear this! Were the eggs fully developed or just normal looking mature ovaries? Its possible she may have been eggbound or because you mention her body had fluid in it, she may have been in some state of organ failure (dropsy) because of the fluid accumulation. Excess internal fluid is not normal.

Back
Top Bottom