Ultra Violet Led's As A Stabilizer, algae control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portabuddy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok i'm in the process of building my very own koi pond and i'm 60-70% done, the pond is 17' X 40' X 4'(in one 3'X3' spot) NOT 17"X40". i have the pumps, two 7500GPH 1hp externals to power the 25"waterfall.(i have pics if any one is interested)

Now the question of the hour. I'm going to be needing some kind of algae control, more than just the koi. and i'm thinking that the only way to go is a UV light. and one big enough to handle it all would cost about $300. plus a new bulb every year.

being a Do-It-Your-Selfer i'm trying to think out side the box. LED's last about 10 000-50 000 hours thats about 5 years if they ran 24/7 and probably 10-20 if they ran only when there was a bloom. i can get 1000 5mm 4000mcd LED's for about $200, and the resistors i have. the other bits might cost like $20-50.

CAN THE LED'S DO THE SAME AS A store bought UV EMITTING DEVICE(using a bulb)?

pics below are referance only

img3040195.jpg

this is a example of a store bought UV stabilizer(55watt)

5mm%20UV%20LED.jpg

and this is a example of a UV led, the one depicted is only 200mcd and the one i may get is 4000mcd.(keep in mind that if you look into one you will go blind)

Some one please help me

Even as a fellow DIYer, I don't think I'd be volunteering for a soldering project of that scale any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom