water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
this is actually a pond question but also i guess you could use this for a sump type thing..

i also asked this earlier, but now were buying a pump soon and i need to convince my mom to a pump.

for our waterfall should we get a waterfall pump, or a normal pump that can pump water that high? because im thinking of buying a pump from petsmart (thx u greenmagi) but my mom thinks that we need a waterfall pump.

can you guys tell me the actual difference?

you can move this to ponds, but i thought i might get a quicker response up here

Pumps are pumps first off..
The head highth is a measurement when the pump is no longer able to fight gravity anymore and the flow stops working.. its hard to find the information as to what the flow rate is at a certain head highth but when you can find them if you would graph the numbers it usually looks like a exponential function.. a arch from 0 to the highest output.. its a guessing game as to what pump at the head hight you would need, most people overestimate the size they need just to make sure they are getting enough flow.. HTH

What is the vertical distance the pump would have to pump?

Like GM said, a pump is a pump.

The decision to put "waterfall" on the package is made by the marketing department and not the engineers who designed the pump.

In case you need to convince your mom I know what I'm talking about: I am just about to graduate in Mechanical Engineering, and have had classes on pumps, and fluid dynamics.

How tall is the waterfall going to be? (measure from the surface of the pond to the exit on the hose.) This will govern what pump you need.

im guessing 4-5 feet, but im going to have it about 1 foot lower on a ledge, so like maybe 5-7 feet.

you really need a accurate measurement of the how high its going to have to pump the water but from what your saying I would get at least the Quiet One 3000 Pond Pump, if not a larger model.. :mrgreen:

get a pump that is reliable. and truthfully most at large chain stores are not. try to go to a actually pond store if you have one by you.

Two other factors that come into account are the diameter of the hose or pipe you run and the bends if any that it makes.
Use the largest diameter hose you can for less resistance and few turns. A 90 degree bend will cut down the flow much more than two 45 degree bends. A large radius is less resistance than the 45s.

I hardplumbed a waterfall with 1/2 " pipe and two 45 degree turns to a waterfall only 3 feet from the surface. The waterfall barely trickled. I later used the same pump with 1" tubing, and a large radius instead of the 45s and it was perfect.
Unfortunally I had to completely tear down my waterfall to change the plumbing. I had it all hidden under hypaturfa cement.

Back
Top Bottom