Why are you not supposed to keep fancy goldfish with comets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chub Keeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added a sassaras goldfish, calico ryukin, and a black Moore to my 55 gallon fish tank, and I am curious why you aren't supposed to keep comets with fancy goldfish.

Commons (and comets) can easily out compete fancies for food, as they can swim easier and faster than the fancies. They are also prone to bullying the fancies because the fancies are slower and can't get away.

I just added a sassaras goldfish, calico ryukin, and a black Moore to my 55 gallon fish tank, and I am curious why you aren't supposed to keep comets with fancy goldfish.

Your black moor is already at a disadvantage because of his eyesight. The ryukin can out-compete him for food, but is a better tankmate than the other fish.

I think you mean you added a sarasa comet with the ryukin and the moor.

Comets are pond fish. As you can see from the link I gave you, the comet needs a much larger environment than what he's in. Your 55 is overstocked with those three fish alone. If you move the comet to a pond, you may have room for other fancies.

You said you added these three fish. Do you have others in the tank also?

The only other fish are Cory cats and several black nosed dace. I will give the comet to petco and u think I am going to get a oranda to replace him.

Okay, you know the cories are freshwater tropical fish, don't you?

And the dace are river fish, albeit coldwater fish that eat live foods.

Why are you mixing so many fish with different needs in one tank?

The dace has adapted to eating flake foods even when I offered them frozen bloodworms and our doing fine, the Cory cats I have we're some of the first fish i have ever owned and did perfectly fine in a tank without a heater in fact 2 of them have been with me for 7 years and have done perfectly fine heater or no heater.

Eh honestly I do a lot of fish research just because I am really interested in it. Like I know you can't keep a koi in a aquarium because they grow to 3 feet long. The dace I put in a 20 gallon tank 1 month ago to see if they would live and, now there thriving, there are exceptions to rules like Cory cats do not always need a heater. Also I know what fish can actually be kept in a 55 gallon because if I didn't know what my general info I would have a 14 inch large mouth bass in there. I know a lot of general info though I'm still learning and I do not have unlimited funds. I'm only 14 and still have a lot to learn some by research and some by trial by error. I do appreciate your advice though there are exceptions.

The dace has adapted to eating flake foods even when I offered them frozen bloodworms and our doing fine, the Cory cats I have we're some of the first fish i have ever owned and did perfectly fine in a tank without a heater in fact 2 of them have been with me for 7 years and have done perfectly fine heater or no heater.

I have Panda cories, and right now they are not using a heater b/c it's no need in the summer... but in the winter the heater will come on if the temperature drops below 72, and my Goldfish are fine with that.

Yea I keep their tank in a heated room so the temperature never gets below 70 which the Corys seem to like.

The only other fish are Cory cats and several black nosed dace. I will give the comet to petco and u think I am going to get a oranda to replace him.

As others have said, your tank is full with only 3 goldfish. 4 would only be possible with super good filtration and care. But I don't recommend it at all. I don't know about dance but get those Cory cats away from your goldfish!!! Once goldfish get large enough they will try to eat your copies (and anything small enough for their mouths) and Cory cats have spines in their fins that will choke/harm/even kill your goldfish. Just look up goldfish and Cory cats. There are many cases of this.

As others have said, your tank is full with only 3 goldfish. 4 would only be possible with super good filtration and care. But I don't recommend it at all. I don't know about dance but get those Cory cats away from your goldfish!!! Once goldfish get large enough they will try to eat your copies (and anything small enough for their mouths) and Cory cats have spines in their fins that will choke/harm/even kill your goldfish. Just look up goldfish and Cory cats. There are many cases of this.

Lol... I think the goldfish had to have been pond sized and maybe a foot long, b/c I don't see that happening in an aquarium. My two goldfish are in with 5 cories and 4 dwarf loaches, and the loaches could fit into the bigger goldfish' mouth and it hasn't even been a problem. My goldfish know the difference between the food I feed then and their living swimming tankmates. They're Goldfish not
Cichlids. Lol

Back
Top Bottom