Why fancy goldfish require big tanks- visual perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah..this is a good idea to show it. You could do this with many of fish too..if they didnt eat the smaller one lol

Pics from this past winter: First pic is a large juvenile moor (orange-size) next to an adult male moor. The next two pics are the same juvenile moor next to an adult male moor nymph. The pics do not do justice to the size of the adult moors as they were larger than a dinner plate.

Attachments

• IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 859
Last edited:
From today: Here is the same juvenile moor in the above pics next to a lfs size juvenile moor:

Attachments

• image-263836520.jpg
    image-263836520.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
Here is another pic of the same juvenile telescope from the first set of pics next to different adult telescope:

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 763
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, that is heartbreaking.

Thank you! Perhaps the efforts of making these pics will pay off in helping people decide a better way to house their fish.

We still need a pic for Comets/Feeder fish. I have already referenced this thread to several people!

Great thread!

Now that it's been stickied, I wonder if the title can be edited to read: View this before buying your first goldfish.

I thought a funny thing to say about the one inch per gallon rule...
A 66 inch adult female (my height) can live in a 66 gallon tank... which we all know is complete crap hahaha

Big pet store near me is having a sale- 6 comets for $9. Brilliant :-(
Shop assistant said its cheaper for customers to buy the 6 than to buy 3, so they get the cheap deal and flush the unwanted fish. And knowing this, they continue to offer those deals!
I don't know whether I feel more sorry for the ones that get flushed or the ones that end up in an uncycled 20 gal tank.

Big pet store near me is having a sale- 6 comets for $9. Brilliant :-(
Shop assistant said its cheaper for customers to buy the 6 than to buy 3, so they get the cheap deal and flush the unwanted fish. And knowing this, they continue to offer those deals!
I don't know whether I feel more sorry for the ones that get flushed or the ones that end up in an uncycled 20 gal tank.

Isn't that the truth? I just replied to that thread.

I must have missed it but how large is your tank?

The first fish pictured spent the past winters with her girlfriend in a 55g with 75-100% wcs 2-3x a week. This past winter this was upped to 100% 3x a week. The rest of the time she's in a pond with her other buddies and will likely stay out unless there are buoyancy or health issues. If the larger fish need to be moved indoors, they will go into 150g pool/troughs.

thanks jlk

That picture put everything in perspective goldfish grow big and. Need a lot of attention. I DONT think pet stores should be aloud to sell those fish bowls so thanks again for helping me out:thanks:

The first fish pictured spent the past winters with her girlfriend in a 55g with 75-100% wcs 2-3x a week. This past winter this was upped to 100% 3x a week. The rest of the time she's in a pond with her other buddies and will likely stay out unless there are buoyancy or health issues. If the larger fish need to be moved indoors, they will go into 150g pool/troughs.

I always wondered how people move pond fish indoors. Where I'm at if I had a pond in winter it'd freeze over so I'd have to bring them inside.

No, you don't! My pond has 8-12inches of ice at times. You need a de-icer or have to be willing to do the work to keep an area free of ice (de-icer is easier!). My local breeder keeps almost all of his fish outdoors as well. You do have to be sensible with feeding though as the temperature starts to drop.

@ the OP: Your fancy goldfish --- so cute.
I would love a list of the plants in your tank.

I have two small and a new med size fancy goldfish
1 small fantail
1 small black moor and
1 med blue oranda (for about two weeks) in 56 gal.

I need to take pictures and list them in my profile.

I feed my fish DIY gel food and peas so they dislike the plants in their tank thus far.
1 anubius plant
1 java fern
and Ancharis for them to eat lol:lol::cool:

I've been feeding my goldfish peas also they seem to like them better then the shrimp pellets but my Cory's are eating them too is that OK.my crawfish too

Back
Top Bottom