Why fancy goldfish require big tanks- visual perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fish few fish I rescued were feeder goldfish, about 3 years ago now I have one that survived, the others died of fin rot about a week after I got them, now I have the first goldfish which survived fin rot with a black moor, my goldfish is huge coming upto the size I a dinner plate my black moor is not far off the size of yours they are both in a 3 foot tank all on there own, not sure how many gallons I no it's a lot tho after filling it up an wc, when I got these ones I was told that a 10 gallon would be fine(yeah right) the goldfish is bigger then that now,

Also when my nephew had his first tank a 10 gallon one about 8 years ago they sold us 2 Blackmoor and 2 goldfish and said that would be fine for there while lives, ?, back the. I didn't no myself but I still feel bad about them as they all died a couple of weeks after

Sent from my fish phone

Thank you Autumnsky, for the additional info, I forgot about all the different Danios and Minnows. Still a newbee.

Almost a year ago my husband brought home two small black moors in a 10 gallon tank as a surprise for me one day. Of course the guy at the lfs said it was adequate space but I felt so bad for them. After 2 weeks I couldn't stand it and I upgraded them to a 36 gallon and they seemed to love it. Now that I have read up on goldfish a little more two months ago, I once again decided to upgrade and moved them to a 55 gallon tank that is 4 feet long. Despite my ignorance they have had no noticeable issues...even in the 10gallon. At least I was smart enough to do frequent wc. Hopefully I have not caused them to be stunted.

New Tank!!

I am So Excited!!!! I finally have the Aquarium I have been wanting!!!
Marineland 75 Gallon Majesty Ensemble from Petsmart!! :dance:

I have my Fluval 406 just about ready to go. I have a Marineland Emperor 400 and 50' Python coming tomorrow. Just waiting on 80 lbs of Caribsea Instant Aquarium "Peace River" Substrate that comes on Monday!!

Hopefully, Quick Cycle from the Pre Loaded Bacteria in the gravel (that is sent wet), and Pierce McBubbles moves to his Mansion!! He is the Shubunkin that my Daughter won at the local Carnival at the end of July.

I am considering adding a couple Gold Dojo Loach and maybe half dozen Zebra Danio. I will get some pics posted when I have it all set up, cycled and fish moved!

I am So Excited!!!! I finally have the Aquarium I have been wanting!!!
Marineland 75 Gallon Majesty Ensemble from Petsmart!! :dance:

I have my Fluval 406 just about ready to go. I have a Marineland Emperor 400 and 50' Python coming tomorrow. Just waiting on 80 lbs of Caribsea Instant Aquarium "Peace River" Substrate that comes on Monday!!

Hopefully, Quick Cycle from the Pre Loaded Bacteria in the gravel (that is sent wet), and Pierce McBubbles moves to his Mansion!! He is the Shubunkin that my Daughter won at the local Carnival at the end of July.

I am considering adding a couple Gold Dojo Loach and maybe half dozen Zebra Danio. I will get some pics posted when I have it all set up, cycled and fish moved!

Please post a new build thread for this exciting event in the Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds! That way we can all watch the progress and see McBubbles in his new kingdom!
Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fancy goldfish, two black moors, one calico fantail and one gold fantail.?

It's 20 gal for the first fish 10 for every after that so in what's basically 80 gal you can have seven fancies so you are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should be good!

Will I be alright with 4 goldfish in a 79(us) gallon 300Litre?

Not sure I would add any more Goldfish. Goldfish cause Huge BioLoad!! I have my 2 shubunkin (comet type) goldfish, 2 Dojo Loach, 1 Weather Loach and 8 Boesemani Rainbowfish in a 75 gallon.

Make sure you have Strong Filtration. I have a Fluval 406 & Marineland Emperor 400. The rule I read is Gallons (size of aquarium) X 10 = Gallons Per Hour Filtered. So you want approx. 800 gallons per hour flowing through filtration with goldfish due to the High Ammonia levels they cause.

I am not a pro, but have spent months researching after my Daughter brought home a goldfish from the Carnival.

Not sure I would add any more Goldfish. Goldfish cause Huge BioLoad!! I have my 2 shubunkin (comet type) goldfish, 2 Dojo Loach, 1 Weather Loach and 8 Boesemani Rainbowfish in a 75 gallon.

Make sure you have Strong Filtration. I have a Fluval 406 & Marineland Emperor 400. The rule I read is Gallons (size of aquarium) X 10 = Gallons Per Hour Filtered. So you want approx. 800 gallons per hour flowing through filtration with goldfish due to the High Ammonia levels they cause.

I am not a pro, but have spent months researching after my Daughter brought home a goldfish from the Carnival.

That's an entirely different situation with commons. They get bigger than fancies. The stocking rule for fancies is, as I said, is 20 gal for the 1st fish and you add ten for every after that.

I apologize Emerald.... I did not mean to offend you. I am still a newbie and I did forget that Fancies and Comets are different rules...

I was totally Shocked when I realized what it took to give a Good Home to a Carnival Fish!! It is such a Shame that people go straight for the 1-2 gallon bowl. They are Such Beautiful Fish and Deserve a Big Home!

I only want to keep the four fancy goldfish I have in the 79 gallon. I want them to get nice and big. So cool at 20 gallons each I should be well ok cheers.

Yup you are good to go

My personal opinion and experience is 20 gallons per fancy goldfish is the minimum if you want them to grow to their full size/potential and thrive happily. I learned the hard way how messy these fish are and wish I would have seen a post like this sooner.

Our goldfish odyssey began as so many others did - the church carnival prize. Currently, we have two Veil Tail fancies, approx. 4.5 inches in length (not counting tail). When it was evident we needed to upgrade (a year ago), we went to a 30 gallon, long. It's filtered with a Fluval 206.

Under ideal habitat conditions, how long in length might these two fish grow?

Evidently, our 30 gal isn't ideal for them at their current size, and while I cannot afford anything larger at this time, I want to know what I need, for when I can afford a larger tank. A pond is out of the question. If that's where we're headed, I must find someone willing and able to adopt them. Thanks folks!

Our goldfish odyssey began as so many others did - the church carnival prize. Currently, we have two Veil Tail fancies, approx. 4.5 inches in length (not counting tail). When it was evident we needed to upgrade (a year ago), we went to a 30 gallon, long. It's filtered with a Fluval 206.

Under ideal habitat conditions, how long in length might these two fish grow?

Evidently, our 30 gal isn't ideal for them at their current size, and while I cannot afford anything larger at this time, I want to know what I need, for when I can afford a larger tank. A pond is out of the question. If that's where we're headed, I must find someone willing and able to adopt them. Thanks folks!

Around 7 to 11 inches. I feel a 50 gal would be nice with adequate filtration. Not being an expert in goldfish matter though, thats just through general knowledge and experience. 30 might be enough according to most websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom