Wondering if this will work or not ?(media)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lori_z3a

Aquarium Advice Regular
what exactly is the meaning of bio-media and what does it do - should the water go up from bottom through the media or down through top and out near the bottom - I ask this because I am going to build a garbage can filter - it will be like this bricks on bottom -then a crate on top of bricks - then put a pipe up the middle and around it fill lava rocks and sump pump hose then crate on top of that then more sump pump hose then another crate then quilt batting .

so the water will flow down through the pipe in the middle and raise up through the levels of media and out through a pipe at the top right into the top part of my waterfall - now should I put a lid right on top or leave it open and does this sound like it will work ?

another idea is a 10 gallon pail with my submersible pump in it and fill it up half way with lava rocks and cut up hose then quilt batting on the top having a lid on it but a round hole for the water to go up a pvc pipe to feed to garbage can filter - there will also be holes drilled in the lid of the 10 gallon pail for the pump to suck water in and right through the mixed media - will both of these work or not ?

Trying to keep busy during the winter and have things ready to hook up when pond is filled again this summer.

I would recommend a few different types of mechanical filtration, obtained from the lfs. As long as the pump doesnt dry out, it should work. I would make sure, that everything is sterilized before assembling this. I have done something similar with 50 gallon oil drum before. Only it was steam cleaned, pressure cleaned, so it was totally safe for fish and plants. There may be only one problem with the lava rock, in that it is so difficult to clean, and usually is just so much easier to replace. Bio media is a media that has lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on, and allow it to consume the microscopic particles of both fish and plant waste, along with sometimes even oxygenating the water. I would cover up the garbage can top, if possible. Not only does it prevent birds from falling in and dying in your filter :( (I've had personal experience with this), but it also prevents any types of leaves and debris from getting worked into the media and causing even MORE of a job for you. It also depends on convenience. Do you want to have to climb into a 45 gallon garbage can full of fish waste and debris, and have to clean that every 2-4 weeks? Let me know, we can go from there. :)

nope not climbing into no garbage can to clean - I just have a lot of small pieces of sump pump hose cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces - and every time I cut into plastic I seem to not get a good seal that is why I was thinking on a bran new garbage can (plastic )and having a pvc pipe going down the middle and the water filter through the media but before it goes over the top of the can it will go into the top of my waterfall . Was even thinking on filling it up with plastic pot scrubs as well. I have to keep it $$$ down and very easy - photos a must - my pond is 2000 gallons and pump is very strong as well

another thought

how about a pvc pipe down the center of a plastic container and having a mixture of sump pump hose cut into 1 1/2 strips and plastic pot scrubbers - the water would go down the pvc pipe to the bottom ,filling the inside of the container full of water and filtering it through the plastic scrubbers and hose pieces up to the top then through quilt batting then out through a pvc pipe added near the top of the container so the water filtered will go to my waterfall- would this work better ?will have the top covered over with the container lid

How are you going to get the filtered water at the top out of the garbage can? You will need to somehow either use gravity-flow or to seal a tube leaving the can. Other than that, it sounds like a fairly good idea, in theory. The only thing I would watch would be the number of gph running into the filter, versus the number of gallons running out of the filter, if the number in is more than that number out, a big mess will soon prevail.

Just a thought..... :)

Ya I figured that - I was thinking on some how having a 2 inch pvc pipe near the top but I am really not to good at sealing things after I cut the hole and insert the pvc pipe from leaking - the pvc pipe that goes to the can is only 1 inch so I figured a 2 inch should do it then a snug lid on top - sure wish I could fins a container with the bottom drain and another sealed opening at the top.

Back
Top Bottom