10 gal with newts.... tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magdelena_69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 10 gallon that's half full of water. My newts don't really like to come up to land too often (if ever) so I just have a couple of ornaments poking out the top and a small internal filter.
What kind of fish would like this sort of environment? Would my betta get along with my newts? I'm sure 5 gal of water would be enough for him, seeing as he's only in a 1 gal now, I just don't want them to fight.

Here's a pic if it helps any...
img_475378_0_210ef1a58ef56d3e0818306180ac8a5d.jpg

A betta would work, hatchets would be cool, or some other smaller fish (like whiteclouds), although anything much smaller than a betta would be at risk of becoming a snack.

I tried the betta. It seemed ok at first but the betta started trying to pick fights with the newts this morning. I don't think he was really hurting them, but they seemed annoyed so I put him back in his tank.
So non-aggressive fish would really help.

Sometimes it takes awhile fro a betta to adjust. If possible I would suggest raising the water level and adding a large rock for the newts to climb onto. Then adding more fish might be easier. A trio of male platies might be nice and they tend to hang out near the top a lot of the time.

Back
Top Bottom