ACF tank cleanliness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I have a African Clawed Frog tank, with just one right now but plan on getting 2 more. It is a 20 long, with a tetra whisper 40i HOB filter. I chose this filter because it claims to be very quiet and minimal vibration, which I have read that the Frogs get very stressed out with vibrations from most HOB filters.

The problem I am having now is the tank is getting covered with brown algae? or is it from the dirtiness of the frog, I hear they are just as bad as goldfish. With my water change and filter change tonight, I took the few decorations and fake plants out and rinsed them off. Is there anything I can do to help keep this to a minimum? I try to do a water change every week or 2 when I can get the spare time. The frog, I had one other but died shortly after being put into new tank, was in my community tank until I learned they will eat fish once they had gotten big enough. So I am guessing most fish wont survive in this tank, I had put 4 mystery snails in my community tank just before the new tank was done cycling and they lasted about 2 days, apparently the frogs really liked them, they went after them the first 10 minutes they were put in.

I had a bristle nose pleco that ate all my brown algae when I had am outbreak, I am not very knowledgable on your frogs but I'd say they would leave a pleco alone. Most things do

Brown algae is tough my recommendation is get a magnet tank scrubber to get rid of it that's my opinion

I have 2 common pleccs that clean my 4ft tank in 7 month i have never clean the glass they do it all my glass is crystal clear

ForumRunner_20131002_002213.jpg

I know otos would more than likely become food, but they are usually pretty cheap. They are also super fast and I think could get away, especially from a blind frog. What do you guys think?

I would not put a pleco or any catfish for that matter in a tank with ACFs because catfish species tend to have spines and your frogs will DEFINITELY TRY TO EAT THEM. The spines will pierce internal organs if ingested. My advice is scrub your tank with an algae scrubber and do a water change. Also, limit any natural light or artificial light that comes in contact with your aquarium. I have a 20 gal long with two ACFs for the last 10 months. I read they tend to like dirty water and even thrive in it. This tank is only lighted by the light in the room it is in, no light on top of the tank. I run my filter less than half the day, which is a 10 gal filter bc they actual prefer stagnant water pools or very low flow. I do about a 40-50% water change when nitrates test high, about every 2 weeks. Feed a consistent diet of reptomin pellets and supplement with live food such as night crawlers and live guppies. NO ROSY RED MINNOWS. These frogs will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, Or they'll die trying.

I have an albino too but he was hiding

Attachments

• image-3108207216.jpg
    image-3108207216.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2429714831.jpg
    image-2429714831.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1806123844.jpg
    image-1806123844.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3937971028.jpg
    image-3937971028.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-715742249.jpg
    image-715742249.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 88
Thanks, I feed them the same reptomin usually 2 sometimes only 1 time a day. I have a light on, its a marineland led hood, I leave the blue on at night, its in my daughters room and its pretty much a nightlight. I have 2 female albinos, 1 im sure is a female and the other is still real small but I believe to be a female as well. I also run a marineland emperor 280 now which works MUCH better. But it does give of a little more vibration, I had thought about turning the filter off at night but wasn't real sure. I also have freeze dried brine shrimp which they seem to enjoy but I have not yet fed any live food. Where do you get the night crawler and guppies from? I mean is there a special kind? The young one is still only about an inch long.
I have been fighting with diatoms in both my tanks, which is what the brown algae is.
Can I see more pics of your tank looks like a nice setup! Mine is setup for 2 girls, colorful
img_2699177_0_d98f580b6cd05dc66f71225e0b8bb5c9.jpg

Live feeder guppies come from a local fish store that carries them. The night crawler/earth worms come from the front yard or my drive way when it is raining. I also feed live black worms purchased at a local fish store. anything you feed them thats life must be eaten. Dont let any of those tiny black worms to get away because they will live in the bottom of your tank, multiply and dirty the water.

I would recommend not turning the lights on during the day, and sometimes not use the night light too.

I'll send more pics when i get the chance to take them.

Back
Top Bottom