ACF Tank Improvements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerm174

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello and happy new year! I am new to these forums and am impressed by the large community. Hopefully I can get some advice.

I've had a male albino ACF since I was a kid (~15 years now) but have never really looked into proper care for these frogs other than what my parents taught me when I first got it. After reading up more on the matter, I believe that a 5.5 gallon tank is too small for it and that it needs a new filtration system that doesn't disrupt the water too much. It also needs some more plants and hiding places as it currently has a large conch shell which I know isn't native to its natural habitat.

My dilemma is finding appropriate hardware at a reasonable price - I'm a broke student after all haha :oops:. I also don't know how much to invest into it considering that it's nearing its average life span. But don't get me wrong; my frog has been my companion since childhood and I hate that I've neglected to treat him better until now.

Any advice is much appreciated!

If you have kept it 15 years you have clearly done something right !!

At the age it is now I would personally leave things just as they are the stress of a move and different surroundings could be enough to kill it.

Having a quick read on them they can apparently live to 30 years old so maybe you could get away with a bigger home for it ect as it only half life if it makes it to 30 keeping it 15 years is impressive though :)

Thanks for the response. I hope to save up for a larger tank and slowly start to introduce some foliage. I agree with you that I should try to avoid stressing him out. My parents said that when we first added some live plants to the aquarium he just chewed them apart. I don't remember what kind they were.

I have also been feeding him frozen blood worms but have read that this should only be given as a snack. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would love some ideas on ADF cuisine. I'm going to start using a turkey baster to limit rotting food between stones. I have pellets now. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom