ADF ammonia impossibly high! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TexasBlues

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have been recording the numbers and I'm not sure whether I have a ghost pouring pure ammonia in my water while I sleep or what - any help as to what's happening here would be super appreciated.

About a week ago we got 2 ADFs and put them in our 2.5 gallon. I had it established previously with tetras, but we also purchased a 10 gallon tank and I moved the filter from the 2.5 to the 10 (it was a TopFin internal Filter 10, and it said it filtered as much as 97 gph, which seemed way to high for the 2.5 gallon even though I had it on the minimum setting.) I bought a Tetra Whisper 3i for the 2.5.

My 10 gallon ammonia hasn't been a problem and my 4 guppies seem to be enjoying themselves a great deal.

However, the ammonia in the ADF tank seems impossible - like, mathematically impossible. (I have a API kit)

Tuesday, noon: My ammonia in the 2.5 tank read 3 ppm. I immediately put them in a jug of conditioned tap water (that read .5 ammonia) and changed about 90% of the water, just left the little bit at at the bottom I couldn't get to. I refilled with 2 gallons from the big tank (I now know I was risking bringing disease into the small tank but didn't realize that at the time) where the ammonia read somewhere between 0 - 0.25.

So, 90% of the water is .25 and 10% of the water is 3. That night around midnight I checked and it read 1.5. My math isn't what it used to be, but I don't think that works! It gets worse:

Wednesday, noon: The ammonia in the 2.5 tank read somewhere between 3-4. How is this possible?! I again took out 90% of the water, leaving the little bit at the bottom I couldn't get, and this time I used spring water that tested with 0 ammonia. After I did this 90% change, the ammonia read 1. Again, I don't get how this is possible for 90% to be 0 ppm and 10% to be 3-4 and 100% to be 1.

Now, at this point (Weds, noon) I added 10 ml of Tetra Safestart out of desperation, so I know I added some ammoni*um*. I tested Wednesday at midnight, I tested and it read 2. I know the API doesn't distinguish between ammonia and ammonium, so I'm not 100% sure what to make of it.

I tested today just now and it still shows 2 ppm.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Some thoughts: Could the bottom inch of water + the gravel have an absolute ton of ammonia that's rendering my 90% water changes mostly pointless? Could the gravel harbor so much crap in it that it's producing this insane ammonia levels from 1 ppm to 3 ppm in 24 hours? I did not do a total tank cleaning when I moved the tetras and the Topfin internal power filter to the 10 gallon, so maybe there's a buildup of tetra crap making it so bad - however, the ammonia during the three weeks the tetras were there was 0, though maybe the relatively powerful topfin filter was just able to handle everything.

And what do you guys suggest I do now? I can do a total tank cleaning, I can try and get a test that will differentiate between ammonia and ammonium? Should I try and have a bare bottom tank to keep anything from building up? Will nitrifying bacteria still be able to form on the bare bottom tank like it would on the gravel?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. My frogs seem in good shape so far and I want very much to keep it that way.

Edit: I've been feeding them 10 bloodworms every other day with tongs, so I'm not just spray-and-praying handfuls of frog pellets in there, so we can rule that out for accounting for the crazy ammonia. Thanks guys.

I have the Seachem ammonia alert that hangs on the glass and I love it! I have one for all 4 of my tanks. It only detects the toxic ammonia. Might be worth looking in to. How much Safe Start did you add?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. ADF's produce a lot of waste which creates a lot of ammonia. In a small tank such as a 2.5 gallon ammonia will be up very quickly. Ammonia is a product or respiration and the more you feed the more ammonia there will be.

Sounds as though your tap water contains ammonia also so that will be contributing. Water bio media is in the 2.5 gallon just isn't established enough to keep ammonia down quicker than it rises.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You mentioned you moved the filter from the 2.5 to the 10.

Did you put a new filter on the 2.5? If so, did you use all new filter media? The bacteria that breakdown the ammonia is in the filter media, so if that was moved as well,you have the source of your problem.

I would recommend taking some of the filter media from your 10, and putting it back in your 2.5. That should help seed the new filter, and hopefully fix your problem.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

some tests will read the ammonia that is produced when you treat tap water if there are certain chemicals added to the drinking water
bring a sample to you lfs it might be a common problem in your area

that tank is 2 small for anything but hatching brine shrimp or fish eggs

Back
Top Bottom