ADF euthanasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkoyko

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my female ADF started with a small red bump (looked like a pimple) on her nose. I checked her tank for anything that she could have hurt herself on but couldn't find anything. I kept her water clean but it has progressively gotten worse to the point that she has lost her nose and it is just an open wound that's developed fungus. When the bump burst I had started using peroxide on a Q-Tip to clean the area but it got worse. I put in an IAL to help fight the infection but she keeps going downhill faster and faster. About 2 days ago I noticed that the area had started to bled and that her jaw was turning red as well. She's been floating at the top, refuses to eat, and doesn't move unless you touch her. I'm thinking it is probably in her best interest to euthanize her before she it gets any worse but haven't found any humane ways. If anyone knows of any please let me know or if you think you know of a way to cure her then please help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Iced water slush or pure drinking alcohol (vodka for example) are both accepted as humane. Supposedly the ice water and alcohol induce an anesthetized state. Clove oil is another alternative.

None of these actions are desirable, but at times necessary. I'm sorry for the situation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you, TMRC. I feel so awful and I know she's suffering. I'm hoping she's the last bad luck I have. I've been searching for ways to cure her but nothing suggested seems like it will help her at this point and once I started searching for euthanasia I found even less info and wasn't sure of the methods for fish would work for an ADF. I'll look into the alcohol and clove oil. I'm not sure if the ice method would work because frogs can winter over and defrost just fine.

I'm so sorry, I'm unsure on the ice water as well. I wish I had a magic cure. Aside from an antifungal or good water I can't offer much help, perhaps others can. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Her water has been good (I use my API kit constantly on all my tanks for monitoring conditions). I do daily changes on her since the bump popped (about 2-3 weeks ago).
I looked into antifungal but a lot of antifungal advice is in reference to chytrid, which she doesn't have or it is all old info that I'm not sure is applicable anymore. I found an 11 year old advice article about using Lamisil AT but I'm unsure if the Lamisil AT would be the same formula and work. Plus the article was in reference to chytrid.

I feel like a horrible aquatic parent. I've had ich, fin rot, and now a poor frog with a missing nose with visible blood on the wound and under the skin. I'm hoping 2016 is a better year for my tanks.

Well, she passed overnight. I'm not sure what the fungus was on her so she's getting a plastic sandwhich bag burial.

So sad :(

That's very good that you went through all of that to save her, most people would've just given up. Like TMRC said, practically straight alcoho like vodka is considered humane, not so sure about ice water though.
Sorry for your loss :(

I love my pets like kids. Betty White (my female ADF who passed) was my first ADF in years and was very active and responsive. I didn't want to loose her because she was amazing. Hopefully I won't need to euthanize my male ADF and he can live a long, happy life. But now I have the info in case something like this happens again.

Thank you, Herps and fish.

No problem. Clove oil is a form of anesthesia for fish, amphibians, and most aquatic invertebrates. If you dose high enough, it's pretty much the best way to euthanize anything you keep in an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom