ADF with Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerseygirl215

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A month or so ago one of my ADF's hurt his right leg, not sure how, he was fine in the morning and a few hours later he couldn't bend his leg. I ran out and got a hospital/breeder "room" for his tank and lowered the water level. I discharged him from there after a few days when he started swimming better. I never saw a break in the skin or any type of irritation, he never had a visible infection, but his leg never did heal right. He uses it but it doesn't function like his other leg does. The part that has me concerned is that his equilibrium is really messed up, froggie vertigo. He can't keep himself level, "belly down", he's almost always listing to the right, like there's a weight attached to his side that slowly turns him 90 degrees. He still eats really well and he does get around, but he struggles. When I call them for dinner (a few taps on the glass = their version of a dinner bell!) he still comes right out, just not as quickly as he used to, and he has a hard time getting to and staying at the bottom. The other thing I recently noticed is that sometimes (and only sometimes!) he has long bump on his back, like the bone is sticking up, but that is all the way to the left on the very edge of his back. It's just bizarre all this weird stuff going on!
So I guess my questions are: what exactly would cause him to be so off-balance; does the damage to his leg somehow effect that part of his motor skills? Did the injury to his right side cause the issue on his left? And the most important, is there anything I can do to help my little buddy? :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom