African Dwarf Frog Emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunshineclub

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Today I came home after a 3 day trip to Houston. I had someone watch my 4 African Dwarf Frogs and my 3 panda catfish. Today I came home to find 1 of my frogs dead at the bottom of the tank! He was still pretty squishy and moveable. (Does this mean he died recently?). I'm concerned for my other aquatic animals in my tank. Chai, the dead frog, was very bloated (his corpse was.) All my other frogs are relatively skinny except for one. Do you think this frog has dropsy? (I'm worried that's what happened to Chai) or is the frog just chubby. I haven't tested the waters as I just got home.. everyone looks okay. Please help ASAP :confused::confused: I do not wanna loose another frog :( how do i prevent this? Does this frog have dropsy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I came home after a 3 day trip to Houston. I had someone watch my 4 African Dwarf Frogs and my 3 panda catfish. Today I came home to find 1 of my frogs dead at the bottom of the tank! He was still pretty squishy and moveable. (Does this mean he died recently?). I'm concerned for my other aquatic animals in my tank. Chai, the dead frog, was very bloated (his corpse was.) All my other frogs are relatively skinny except for one. Do you think this frog has dropsy? (I'm worried that's what happened to Chai) or is the frog just chubby. I haven't tested the waters as I just got home.. everyone looks okay. Please help ASAP :confused::confused: I do not wanna loose another frog :( how do i prevent this? Does this frog have dropsy?

African Dwarf frogs cannot get dropsy in the same sense that a fish can. It could have been a whole host of reasons that your frog died and the bloating came after he died. What are you feeding them? Many dwarf frog owners inadvertently starve their frogs by not providing them the right kind of foods. Some frogs will be able to eat enough pellets to maintain a healthy weight, but given their limited eyesight, they do better on a target fed frozen diet of blood worms, brine shrimp, etc. I would test the water and tell us the results, but if I had to guess it was probably a one off accident if everyone else seems healthy. Also, it is common for male frogs to appear significantly slimmer compared to the females. That could account for the size difference between yours.

Back
Top Bottom