African dwarf frog foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my 2 frogs and was wondering if mealworms or wax worms are a good diet for them.

i have 2 adf's and i feed them live BLACK worms. they love them. i put a small (very small) clay dish (you can buy at the craft store. it's the water catcher for a terracotta pot. about 3" wide) i put the worms in the dish using a turkey baster to gently place them in the dish and the frogs jump in the dish and have dinner. my frog's are over 3 years old and that's all they eat. they don't like the pellets or any other food. when they wouldn't eat i went back to the store and they told me to feed the worms. they love them.

Okay good to know but will meal worms or wax worms be a good diet

Meal worms and wax worms are too big and will drown quickly. Mealies have hard Exo skeleton and wax worms are too high in fat. ADFs are aquatic so they need aquatic foods. I highly recommend black worms and mysis shrimp my newts love them.

Okay could I get away with wax worms for like 3-4 data until i can jet earthworms.

I really don't think they will be able to eat them ADFs are so small. They will be fine for a couple days without food just wait. I'd pick up some of those frog/tadpole sinking pellets they last forever and use blackworms as a treat

Are earthworms a suitable diet I just went and bought some.

If you chop them up really small they will probably eat them. I think the key in a good diet is variety

mine liked HBH frog and tadpole bites,and frozen foods(only tried bloodworms,but other frozen foods should work). no freezedried foods,and no pellets/flakes other than HBH frog and tadpole bites

That's something I don't understand how are these HBH pellets so good I thought pellets constipated frogs I thought only frozen and live foods were good for them.

No not true. They soften once in water anyways. ADFs are bottom feeders so live food like shrimp is difficult for them to catch since they swim all over the place. Te pellets are great because they are easy to find and have all the nutrition needed. If you provide only liv and frozen you would have to mix the foods or else they don't have a healthy variety that's why I suggest use live or frozen worms as a treat once or twice a week

Oh okay then so how much do these HBH pellets cost and are they the only ones suitable for frogs

I just got my 2 frogs and was wondering if mealworms or wax worms are a good diet for them.
The best foods for your ADF's are HBH frog and tadpole bites, frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, and frozen brine shrimp. If they are in a species only tank, live foods are great for them as well. Avoid other pellet type foods, because yes they will constipate frogs, and all dried foods.

The HBH food is very affordable. About $3 at most shops.

Since the frogs are nearly blind, make sure you feed in the same spot every day so they can find the food, and less goes uneaten. A small feeding dish works great.

Okay can you hand feed them the pellets or will they fall apart to fast

Yes, you can. I just use a turkey baster to deposit them into their feeding dish. If you keep the frogs in a community tank, I recommend the hand feeding.

I have him in a tank with 4 guppies and 10 ghost shrimp so I could just hand feed them and are will it do better if kept in a pair or with 3 instead of just 1.

Definitely, they are social. I'd go with three if there is room in the tank.

Guppies and ghost shrimp are both fast aggressive feeders so you will definitely need to take care that the frogs are getting enough to eat.

Its a 10 gallon well planted with the 4 guppies 10 shrimp and the 1 frog could I add 2 more.

Back
Top Bottom