african dwarf frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idol1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm really trying to understand why people want African Dwarf Frogs in their [tropical] fish tank? They don't belong there.

If you must have Dwarf FROGS set a tank up just for them. Most fish tanks are to deep for them.

They do better in social groups of 3 or more. They need hiding spots.

- they like plants.
- water temp should be 75 tops.
- ph range is wide spread 6.8 no higher than 7.5.

The most important is water height 6 to 8 in of water.

- a low flow rate of water.
- most fish tanks the water is moving to fast for these guys.

What's suitable for fish usually is not for the frog.

If you want ADF set up a tank just for them!

They love to eat baby fish like guppies or reg feeder guppies will due. Keep feeder guppys in their tank and they can pick and choose guppies will always give birth.

People really should educate themselves instead of just buying some poor animal because you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ADF have poor eyesight and are near blind from what I have read. But they can eat whatever they can fit into their mouths!!!

The males make tiny odd noises you can hear in the house when it is breeding time (not too loud).

They need cycled tanks just like other aqua inhabitants, with routine pwc & maintenance for clean healthy water to live in.

I'm really trying to understand why people want African Dwarf Frogs in their [tropical] fish tank? They don't belong there.

well, why not? They are fun to watch and enjoyable to take care of.

If you must have Dwarf FROGS set a tank up just for them. Most fish tanks are to deep for them.
Not necessarily true. My frogs due well in a 55 gallon and have no problem reaching the surface and often will hang out up there on a plant.

They need hiding spots.
Many aquariums have plenty of hiding spots. Mine especially like the pile of rocks I have on the cooler side/lower current end of the tank (at night you can almost always catch them on our fishcam #2 with night vision)

If you want ADF set up a tank just for them!
If you want but it is not required.

People really should educate themselves instead of just buying some poor animal because you want it.
May people who are responsible add frogs to their tank and do so without problem or harm.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. People have more problems with there frogs in fish tanks. Than frogs that are set up just for them. You can see that just by reading this forum.

Plenty of people have longe lived frogs in their tanks. Plenty have problems. The majority is with how much people know about caring for them.

We can share opinions here. Members are also welcome to have their own opinions and share them and even feel strongly about them. Pros or cons.

Just wanting to make sure that every one continues to stay respectful. Thank you.

I've had my ADFs in my 20 gallon for quite awhile with no problems. I just moved them to a ten gallon with some otos and got two more (5 frogs now). And they're acting just as ridiculous as always. IMG_3445.jpg

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. People have more problems with there frogs in fish tanks. Than frogs that are set up just for them. You can see that just by reading this forum.

The same can be said about many people keeping fish. Not as many people keep their tanks in the kind of condition they claim for their fish. Few people actually take readings weekly, let alone daily. Fewer keep their tank in perfect condition for their fish.

Back
Top Bottom