Algae is a Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irsmart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 very small African clawed frogs in a 20 gallon tank, which I will upgrade to something larger when they start outgrowing it. In the meantime, the diatom (brown) algae is phenomenal & out of control. I have a small sponge filter in the corner of the tank & a larger canister filter was recommended by a different group. I have limited funds & have also read that frogs are super sensitive to the vibrations of the filter. Nerite snails eat their weight in gold in my fish tank but I hesitate to put them in with my frogs. Any suggestions are appreciated. I do regular water changes/vacs & don't leave extra food at the bottom of the bare bottom tank. There is also java fern floating around in it. The water isn't necessarily dirty or cloudy but the froggies give off a very distinct odor & the algae is covering everything in the tank.:thanks:

I've read that the snail's trapdoor can shut on the little frog legs

I've read that the snail's trapdoor can shut on the little frog legs

I’d think that this would be highly unlikely. May have happened once or twice then ended up on the internet.

I’d say it would be fine. You can take them back out when they have cleared the diatoms.

Having said that diatoms will go away on their own.

Back
Top Bottom