Cool fact I learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primordialsoup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sadly I don't have nearly enough space or the resources to build a pond but I really appreciate their beauty nonetheless. I remember reading something very neat recently. You guys no doubt know way more about this than I do and whether or not it's completely accurate but I still love this bit of fishkeeping history. I don't remember where I read it but there's a type of carp that's native to northeastern Asia called the black carp and centuries ago it was introduced to Japan from the mainland. Apparently it adapted extremely well to living in Japanese waterways and for a long time the people caught them for food. Eventually though some of these black carp, whether through mutations or recessive genes or something along those lines, started developing vibrant colors and people started selectively breeding them for these colors and to enhance them and this is where koi originated.

Genetic drift is indeed an amazing thing. Without the nemesis asteroid it's possible that the dinosaurs would be walking us around on leashes by now. :blink:

I saw a video from a Koi enthusiast who was lucky enough to visit Japan for a in-depth look at their approach to Koi breeding. He even made a purchase. I've always admired how serious\dedicated the Japanese are when it comes to just about everything. This includes all aspects of the Koi market.

Genetic drift is indeed an amazing thing. Without the nemesis asteroid it's possible that the dinosaurs would be walking us around on leashes by now. :blink:

I saw a video from a Koi enthusiast who was lucky enough to visit Japan for a in-depth look at their approach to Koi breeding. He even made a purchase. I've always admired how serious\dedicated the Japanese are when it comes to just about everything. This includes all aspects of the Koi market.

I know right!? I'd love to visit Japan someday. So much tradition and all of it such a refined artform! I love the gardens that koi ponds are often the centerpiece of!

I know right!? I'd love to visit Japan someday. So much tradition and all of it such a refined artform! I love the gardens that koi ponds are often the centerpiece of!

Yes, sir! There was a time when my fondest wish was to eat my way from one end of Japan to the other. Imagine, tons of TRUE sushi and sashimi, prepared and served in the classic way.

When I heard that the best Koi breeders allow there animals to grow and maintain themselves in naturally occuring ponds during the warmer months I was amazed. If someone was stupid enough to try that here, they'd need Delta to guard their property with orders to atomize. :popcorn:

Birds would eat them and Raccoons. Our problems around me with ponds.

Same breeding with Dwarf shrimp too pale tan to rainbows of colors! Quite awesome!

The Koi documentary I saw didn't mention the numbers when it comes to shrinkage caused by natural predation in Japan.

Yes, sir! There was a time when my fondest wish was to eat my way from one end of Japan to the other. Imagine, tons of TRUE sushi and sashimi, prepared and served in the classic way.

When I heard that the best Koi breeders allow there animals to grow and maintain themselves in naturally occuring ponds during the warmer months I was amazed. If someone was stupid enough to try that here, they'd need Delta to guard their property with orders to atomize. :popcorn:

For sure! I particularly like the unagi eel sushi!

And yeah keeping and breeding your koi in a typical pond around here, it would be beautiful for a while but I'm pretty sure the herons and raccoons and snapping turtles would thin them down very quickly.

Birds would eat them and Raccoons. Our problems around me with ponds.

Same breeding with Dwarf shrimp too pale tan to rainbows of colors! Quite awesome!

Right?! And if you live in certain parts of the country, bears!

I absolutely love dwarf shrimp! Especially the blue tiger ones! They are on my list for what I want to put in my big tank once its' ready! :)

Mmmm... now I'm hungry for sushi/sashimi

Indeed yes! That meal was painfully expensive, but worth every penny. The wife and I still talk about it almost like a spiritual experience.

unrelated question: If I want post a pick here, do I need to have it hosted some where?

Back
Top Bottom