Corn snakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well this is my first post on this part of the forum so not sure if snakes fall under this category but I was wondering if you guys could share your experience with corn snakes! I was really wanting one since as a little kid I was always catching and releasing snakes as well as keeping them for extended periods of time. I am a pretty experienced snake keeper but I haven't had snakes in such a long time I have probably forgotten a few things. Reptiles have always had a special place in my heart and was hoping to get more! I currently have a leopard gecko named Cocoa. She's about 3 or 4 years old now. I used to have some rare box turtles but sadly they found a way to dig out of their very well made outdoor in closure (I was so mad. I found one of them several years later on the side of the road...ALIVE AND WELL! However I released her into the Forest in which I had originally got her from). Anyways back to corn snakes...I heard they could be kept in large Tupperware container or small plastic tubs...what?! I have always kept my snakes, turtles and lizards in the largest cages possible. I read this on the internet so who knows how true this is but it makes sense since snakes mainly hide, eat and sleep. Maybe they like the comfort of the small space? Sorry for the long post.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Feeding frozen pinkies really bothers me but not enough for me to not feed them to my snakes but is there a way for me to feed a corn snake purely meal worms, crickets etc.?

Pinkies are your best bet and then rat pups once the snake gets big enough. When I had my corn she was super easy. Just clean her water fish out everyday and spot cleaned poop. Bedding changes were done once a month or every other month. She unfortunately got super sick off a bad batch of mice and went anemic. She was 6 when I lost her :(. I now have a blotched king who is 8 and same type of care. They both had heat bulbs and heat pads.

What's the typical lifespan for a corn? I enjoyed keeping my Texas patch nose! His name was Zippy! he was my favorite snake I have ever had. later found out he was slightly venomous but he never bit me so no problemo. He was wild caught.

What's the typical lifespan for a corn? I enjoyed keeping my Texas patch nose! His name was Zippy! he was my favorite snake i gave ever had. later found out he was slightly venomous but he never bit me so no problemo. He was wild caught.

Zippy looked like this except for his colors were a lot more vibrant. He was a handsome fellow. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423694002.528037.jpg

Upon further research I think I would enjoy having a smooth or rough green snake. I've handled them before and they are very inquisitive little things! Only problem is....where in the world can you get captive bred green smooth/rough snakes? I do not support wild capture of any animal especially those whose numbers are declining. I have had wild caught snakes and reptiles before but all were kept for observation and released within a few weeks to months. I'm looking for a snake I can keep for the rest of its life. I would also like to breed it if possible. Are green smooth/rough snakes easy to breed?

I guess if I can't find captive bred greenies I guess I can get used to feeding a corn snake...although baby mice? That's so sad... :(
Are there any other foods that adult corn snakes can eat? If they have to eat rodents are there any snakes out there that do not require rodents as their main food source?

Some Garter or water snakes eat fish. Smelly poop.

Almost no one breeds rough green snakes because they're such an inexpensive snakes, so there's no monetary incentive.

Corn snakes eat rodents. That is their diet.

I've kept a few different snakes. A Florida garter, couldn't be handled and ate goldfish,.least fav.. my ball python took live mice and would just chill on my lap and slowly meander about. I categorize snakes in 2 ways.. chill and spazz. The corn snake woukd fall in the chill category, they'll coil your hand and arm, seek warmth from your body and overall make a good snake pet. I wouldn't reccomend any rigid rough scaled snakes because they'll constantly fight and strike when trying to be handled. Milk snakes are.really cool too, found a family when I was.doing some work on a home. They let me move them all by hand, just sat in my Palm, i actually wanted to keep one but it woukd.have been wrong imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the small Pythons and Boas.
Rosy Boa
Children's Python
Ball Python ( they get heavy, but not too long)
Rainbow Boas
Others:
Corn Snakes for me are med energy
King Snakes ( had a few diff ones)

Bigger snakes ?
Dumerils Boa

Corns are super easy as far as snakes go. So are ball pythons. And if you are getting any snake you'll have to get used to feeding mice/rodents

There are literally 100s of patterns of corns cornsnake.net is an awesome breeder- plus you can look through and see the different patterns. If o get around to it later I can look for pics. At my peak of snakes I had 9 corns and a ball python. My favorites were my sunburst, my blood red, and my baby ghost

I get a tad bit grossed out and feel bad about feeding such cute little creatures to my snakes. someone please help me not feel so bad...

I get a tad bit grossed out and feel bad about feeding such cute little creatures to my snakes. someone please help me not feel so bad...

Well go to the store. Ask to see a frozen pinkie. See if you can deal with it. They aren't quite cute as mousecicles.

If you can't , don't get a snake.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well go to the store. Ask to see a frozen pinkie. See if you can deal with it. They aren't quite cute as mousecicles.

If you can't , don't get a snake.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1!

I say go to the store like they mentioned and then also watch videos of snake feedings. If you think about it it isn't any different than a human consuming meat. And the only difference between food you feed your fish is that it is ground up and processed

It's really not bad at all- if frozen correctly there is not really a dead smell or anything. Maybe ask an associate when they feed theirs (at like a petco or petsmart) and explain the situation- they might let you watch a feeding? I think it is cool to watch

Also ordering online at mouse factory or buying bulk at an expo is A LOT cheaper in the end and usually better quality

There's nothing cute about a frozen fetal mouse. They're pink and stationary. Snakes are apex predators, they need protein, they appreciate the hunt, they live for the hunt, they neeeeeed the hunt. Do the snake a favor and get a cricket eating gecko if you can't handle it's simply put dietary needs..
Now..
Snakes are hard, they need specific moisture, temp, heat, diet, activities... feed a ball pinkies and it will sit on a heat pad under a log for all eternity. They're cold blooded, they move to survive, nothing more hopefully less..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've kept lots of snakes and I fed them frozen and live pinkies even though it grossed me out. I think I can handle it. I've been watching feeding videos too. I forgot that they practically ate them whole (its been around 4 years since my last snake so I completely forgot), that's not that gross. I watched an alligator feeding at the Zoo and the guts just missed me by about an inch....that was nasty...now that I think about Its not that bad. At least the guts don't splatter! :) it's one of those things where you think it's worse than it really is.

If you don't want to feed live mice and stuff, go with a worm snake! They can live happily in a 10 gallon, and as their name suggests, they don't get much bigger than a nightcrawler. I haven't actually kept one, but me and my brothers aways found them in the spring under logs, roots and around the house. They eat insects, and probably other small birds, but they reach about 15", so they can be comfortably housed in a 20 long, maybe even as small as a 10, depending on size. Another small one to consider is the Brown snake. Same care as the worm. Hope I helped as I have never kept snakes!'

Nils

My old cal king would always squeeze the guts out of her dinner.

I would recommend bhb to buy snakes from, but my last experience was terrible. My snake was way too young to be sold. Ended up being the wrong gender and dying from mouthrot. After the autopsy she had a bad heart anyway and would've died within a month. That was purely bad genetics.

Whoa, atopsy?I love my fish, but I would feel too bad disassembling my catfish's body under a microscope lol. Pretty cool though.

Nils

Back
Top Bottom