Florida softshell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxyhasswag

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of buying a male Florida softshell turtle soon does anybody keep some as I have a few questions on them I understand they get big around 8 to 10 inches for a male
Do they need to bask ?
What size tank will I need to last them there whole life's

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have seen soft shell turtles that weighted over 40lbs and were over two feel long, I could be wrong here as I am no expert in keeping turtles but those things can get huge.

I had friend keep one he kept in a custom 400 gallon tank he was 30" long and weighed 60lbs and he loved to bask.

I do no keep them. But I have thought about thus done a lot of research. In my opinion they get way to big to keep inside any normal tank. I would recommend, if you got one, to buy either a 200 gallon or larger aquarium or just get a large 300 gallon or bigger rubber maid stock tank(which is what I feel would be best but its up to you). And yes they bask as do pretty much all turtles do. And for a basking area you can't have anything that is very rough because they could damage their shells fairly easily, so a large piece of quark bark or build a sand bank into its enclosure.

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom