Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Honey Gourami genders?

Hi, does anyone know the gender of my honey gouramis? I got told you canít tell the sex of egg layers.. is this true?

Thank you (: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	317378Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	317379

Also sorry the photos arenít great, they donít stop moving haha

Old 07-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would opt for male. Slimmer body, pointy fins, bright orange colour, but without a m/f to compare its difficult. Females also have a faint horizontal stripe. Fish stores tend to stock male gouramis rather than females due to their brighter colours.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
I would opt for male. Slimmer body, pointy fins, bright orange colour, but without a m/f to compare its difficult. Females also have a faint horizontal stripe. Fish stores tend to stock male gouramis rather than females due to their brighter colours.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you think theyíre both Male? A few people on other forums have said the second one looks like a female but Iím unsure. I love gouramis but I find it so difficult figuring out their genders
Old 07-16-2020, 03:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ah. Sorry i misread your post. I thought it was 2 photos of 1 fish with differences in lighting and aspect accounting for the variations between the photos.

It could be female. The fins look a little more rounded, there does appear to be a line. Cant really see the body shape though due to the head being more head on in the photo. But it looks a little more orange which would say male.

Extract from spruce fish if it helps with body and fin shape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200716_083823.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	317427
Old 07-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
Ah. Sorry i misread your post. I thought it was 2 photos of 1 fish with differences in lighting and aspect accounting for the variations between the photos.

It could be female. The fins look a little more rounded, there does appear to be a line. Cant really see the body shape though due to the head being more head on in the photo. But it looks a little more orange which would say male.

Extract from spruce fish if it helps with body and fin shape.

Attachment 317427

Oh no worries! Yeah the photo isnít great as theyíre constantly moving itís quite hard to get a good one🤣

Thank you for the help!

Tags
gender, gourami, honey gourami, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com