Is it possible to tell the gender of an RES turtle when the turtle is 1 years old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My turtle is just over a year old now and I'm still not sure about if he is a male or a female. He shares all the same characteristics as a male except his nails aren't long enough to be like a male RES turtle's nails. This could be because he is too young to have that feature but I would like someone else's opinion. I will post a photo of him when I get the chance. Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394604337.922355.jpg I am aware of his pyramiding he is now on a diet and his shell has gotten better since this photo was taken.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394604586.813603.jpg here is another photo of him taken from a different angle. The photo was taken on the same day as the other one was so his pyramiding is the exact same.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394604842.126574.jpg this is his whole tank just in case anyone was wondering.

Normally you can gender these little guys at 4 inches (shell length) by their cloaca, tail and their nails like you mentioned. What length is your RES? Personally, I have a two year old 4 inch YBS, 'he' still baffles experts and vets etc :)

I don't believe so but you will need a bigger tank I had to rehouse mine bc he was getting to big for his 75g

I'm getting a 40 gallon breeder on Friday. Hopefully his is a male and that will be his tank for a wile. The spot were I am putting this tank can only fit a 40 gallon breeder so if he is a female I will have to find a new spot when he gets larger and buy him a larger tank.

Normally you can gender these little guys at 4 inches (shell length) by their cloaca, tail and their nails like you mentioned. What length is your RES? Personally, I have a two year old 4 inch YBS, 'he' still baffles experts and vets etc :)

The shell of my RES turtle is about 3 inches long. I'm telling you everything else on the turtle looks like he is a male. He has a longer tale, his head Is shaped more like a male. The only thing that's not indicating that he is totally a male are his nails.

I need some advice for the filtration on the turtles new tank. I was planning on buying a fluval U4 but I was wondering if it is actually better to buy 2 fluval U3 s and have one on ether side of the tank. I can't get a canister filter or an H.O.B filter for his tank because it has a sliding screen lid.

Back
Top Bottom