Jerking Tetra & Craaaazy ADFs Amid Ammonia spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogMom37

Aquarium Advice Newbie
No idea why the caption that came to mind sounds like a newspaper headline :facepalm:
I’m currently treating an ammonia spike in my tank by doing 50% water changes every day. I did one last night and then noticed 1 of my 4 tetras doing this odd repetitive jerking motion; typically pointed upwards at a 45 degree angle.
Did another water changes a few hours ago & now my 3 ADFs keep swimming about halfway to the top of the tank like they’re going for air, and then turn around and come back down. It's definitely not over 12" & they've never had problems before. I’ve had them for ~8 months & 99% of the time they very obviously don't want to leave the bottom of the tank. They always DART up for air & then dart RIGHT back down.
They do happily & quickly come to the dish for meal time, but that’s it. ?
feel like they can’t breathe or they’re burning or something! ??? anyone have any ideas what could be going on?! I treat my water with Prime when doing water changes
I'm attaching videos of both the tetra & the ADFs in the comments, along with my current tank conditions.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Back
Top Bottom