Loud RES turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the past few weeks now my turtle has been digging in his aquarium from dawn till dusk. The substrate that's in there are medium size river rocks so when he digs it's really loud and annoying. I've had the turtle for 5 years now and he never use to do this so why is he doing it now? Any suggestions on how to get him doing something else? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No clue, I'm guessing the turtles are just bored. Mine did the same when I had river rocks. Replaced with sand no more noise :)

Your turtle might enjoy playing around with a marimo moss ball like mine did. I found a nice fat one the size of a tennis ball from petco for about 7$. They are usually kept in small plastic containers beside the betta fish.

You could change out the rocks for sand turtles love to bury themselves just get a course sand to avoid dust storms in the tank , than you won't hear him moving around making the clicking sound with the rocks

How big is this turtle and how big is the tank? It may be getting too big/bored for it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Turtles love to bury themselves it is a natural thing it makes them feel more secure ,

Why Do Turtles Bury Themselves in Dirt? | Animals - mom.me

it's about instinct they do things that they would have in the wild , it's nothing you did it's just about his lifestyle , changing over to a sand type sub-straight will make your turtle feel more at home , also be sure he he has room to grow in his tank turtles grow at a good rate 1 or 2 inches a year and depending on the species can grow as big as a man hole cover ,

Back
Top Bottom