Meet my turtle man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my turtle man, Mikey. Ok so more like turtle baby. We got him last summer. No idea if he really is a he.... I have been calling "him" Mrs.Nezbit in the hopes that its actually a female- which the boyfriend and son HATE. :lol: In the middle of a shed so excuse that, but does he look okay otherwise? Its our first turtle!
120025-albums14818-picture72564.jpg

Looks good!

How did you aquire him? Did you buy him or did you find him? Did you know he is going to get 14 inches maybe? Did you know you'll have him for 40+ years?

Did you know!

Did you know turtles and torts and terrapins can and most likely out live their owners? Did you know that your turtle will beg for food? Did you know turtles cannot get too fat? They just poop it out! Did you know turtles are opportunistic eaters meaning even if they aren't hungry they will beg for food and proceed to over eat? Did you know I have a 29 gallon turtle tank with a turtle topper which houses my adult painted turtle? Did you know she was acquired from someone who abused her and you could see her bone in lost many of her shell due to lack of care! She love me so much she's only ever bit me once ! And she was hungry after a vacation! So your turtle will be a companion for life! So be happy and make sure you turtle is too!

Your turtle looks great! Not sure how many turtle keepers are on this forum, but I have a river cooter that I adopted from a neighbor that now lives in a 60 gallon indoor pond.

Just double checking that you have the basics - uv b light and heat lamp? I feed mine a mix of reptomin pelletsand dried shrimp, with the occasional lettuce. What size aquarium are you using?

How did you aquire him? Did you buy him or did you find him? Did you know he is going to get 14 inches maybe? Did you know you'll have him for 40+ years?

We acquired him from a very sketchy vendor at a flea market about a year ago... We have done tons of research and found a very knowledage fish shop owner who has helped us on our journey! Yes, we are very aware he will get large and plan on being his forever home!

Your turtle looks great! Not sure how many turtle keepers are on this forum, but I have a river cooter that I adopted from a neighbor that now lives in a 60 gallon indoor pond.

Just double checking that you have the basics - uv b light and heat lamp? I feed mine a mix of reptomin pelletsand dried shrimp, with the occasional lettuce. What size aquarium are you using?

Yes we have a UV lamp and heat lamp for him above his basking dock. We are feeding Omega One frozen turtle formula, also a "trail mix" with shrimp, and for snacks he gets fresh vegies/fruits. He likes peas, carrots, spinach and blueberries the best! He is currently in a 72 gallon. He's about 4 inches right now.

Sounds like you've done your research and the turtle has a good home :)

I got mine from someone that rescued it from another person who got it as a baby not realizing how big it gets and was keeping a 12" turtle in a 20 gallon aquarium :( good to make sure people know what they are in for :)20200405_214431_HDR.jpgImage.jpg

Sounds like you've done your research and the turtle has a good home :)

I got mine from someone that rescued it from another person who got it as a baby not realizing how big it gets and was keeping a 12" turtle in a 20 gallon aquarium :( good to make sure people know what they are in for :)View attachment 316191View attachment 316192

Aww super cute! We had no idea how big these guys can get so I can imagine people get these turtles and are in over their head and have no idea how to care for them.

Back
Top Bottom