My clawed frog Francine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently, at my lps, on a whim my wife wanted a african dwarf frog. So when the attendant scoped it out, I saw one that was a little bigger and of course, "oh, can you get that one!" So we brought it home and it was living happily in its new home and then it started growing. Did a bit of research and discovered her true identity! So it's still about 1 and half inches long but growing quickly. I've done a bit of research on my own but need some more feedback. Trying get her in her own tank in the next couple of weeks as soon it will be big enough to start going after my fish and I don't want it to get hurt or my fish to be eaten.

Can I use water from water changes to start my new tank?
Can I put medium sized rocks that I want to use in my new tank in my old tank to get some bacteria on them?
Not really positive on a certain way to do this. What is going to be a decent quality water filter for a 20 g long with one frog in it. I'll add another if this one survives the tank change.
Any feedback is graciously accepted. I think she's female as I can start to see that ovipositor I think it's called.

Recently, at my lps, on a whim my wife wanted a african dwarf frog. So when the attendant scoped it out, I saw one that was a little bigger and of course, "oh, can you get that one!" So we brought it home and it was living happily in its new home and then it started growing. Did a bit of research and discovered her true identity! So it's still about 1 and half inches long but growing quickly. I've done a bit of research on my own but need some more feedback. Trying get her in her own tank in the next couple of weeks as soon it will be big enough to start going after my fish and I don't want it to get hurt or my fish to be eaten.

Can I put medium sized rocks that I want to use in my new tank in my old tank to get some bacteria on them?
Not really positive on a certain way to do this. What is going to be a decent quality water filter for a 20 g long with one frog in it. I'll add another if this one survives the tank change.
Any feedback is graciously accepted. I think she's female as I can start to see that ovipositor I think it's called.

I have an African clawed frog, and she has NEVER went after my fish!!! EVER!! Oh, and the tolerate water changes really well. Mine is actually very playful. She loves to be rubbed when I have my hand in the tank. She has even come up and nibbled on my pinky, and jumped in my hand...

The water from your water changes likely has nitrates and other toxins in them, which is why youre changing out the water in the first place. Plus, there isnt a lot of the beneficial bacteria in the actual water anyway, so it wouldnt be of much use to a new tank. The vast majority of a tanks BB is inside the filtration system. What kind of filter are you using on the current tank?

You could transfer rocks and gravel over if you choose. Again, not a lot of BB on those, but it cant hurt.

Its my understanding that the frogs can be pretty poopy, so a little extra filtration probably wouldnt hurt. Maybe a HOB thats meant for a 30 or even 40 gallon. Im a big fan of the Aqueon Quietflow because they are indeed very quiet.

At an inch and a half, you have some time before she's big enough to be a threat to your fish. Have you considered doing a fish-less cycle on the new tank? If you have any filter media from your current tank that youre able to transfer into the new filter, then it shouldnt take that long.

The water from your water changes likely has nitrates and other toxins in them, which is why youre changing out the water in the first place. Plus, there isnt a lot of the beneficial bacteria in the actual water anyway, so it wouldnt be of much use to a new tank. The vast majority of a tanks BB is inside the filtration system. What kind of filter are you using on the current tank?

You could transfer rocks and gravel over if you choose. Again, not a lot of BB on those, but it cant hurt.

Its my understanding that the frogs can be pretty poopy, so a little extra filtration probably wouldnt hurt. Maybe a HOB thats meant for a 30 or even 40 gallon. Im a big fan of the Aqueon Quietflow because they are indeed very quiet.

At an inch and a half, you have some time before she's big enough to be a threat to your fish. Have you considered doing a fish-less cycle on the new tank? If you have any filter media from your current tank that youre able to transfer into the new filter, then it shouldnt take that long.

Funny you say, I use aqueoun quiet flow 30 in my current 29 gal. I've heard that noisy filters and air pumps are quite unpleasant for clawed frogs. Wasn't sure what a good filter would be, but I guess the quietflow is "quiet" enough.

Thanks for the advice on getting the water ready for Francine's new soon to be new home.

you can use anything from the cycled fish tank, be it a rock, plant, decoration, in the new fish tank to introduce the beneficial bacterial. some people put gravels in their canister filters so that the bacteria can be injected into the fish tank to cover more surface area. the clawed frog doesn't produce much bioload, so i'm gonna say any filter would be fine as long as you cover sufficient GPH.

Back
Top Bottom