New turtle tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
My finance has agreed to buy me a turtle tank for my birthday so I am now looking into what to get for it. I am thinking of yellow belly sliders as from my quick research they don't grow as big as a lot of species. My question is basically what I need for two turtles, what sort of size tank, what substrate, can I put plants in with turtles. I know I'll need some way for the to get out of the water, heaters and uv light but anything else people can add would be great

They still get pretty large, females bigger than males. 2 males could probably do fine in a 75 but females will need bigger. If you want a small turtle look into painteds, maps, and musk turtles. Substrate can be gravel and I'd run a canister. They're terribly messy creatures. Lighting you will need UVB as well as a heat lamp to bask under. No plants as they will be munched and no fishy companions.

I actually prefer the map turtles so sold on them lol. Would it still be a 75 job? I'm guessing longer rather than deeper too? Do they need live food or pellets ok?

[QUO TE=woody390;2868527]I actually prefer the map turtles so sold on them lol. Would it still be a 75 job? I'm guessing longer rather than deeper too? Do they need live food or pellets ok?[/QUOTE]

I think u could do a 55 or 60 with a map turtle!!! Yes u could feed them live foods like worms, wax worms and mealworms. Maybe some minnows as well

Yeah a 55 would be fine for a map. I know turtles love to eat the plant anachris as well. Pellets Should be the main staple with live food as a treat

thanks :). is there any particular types os filtration or filter medias you'd recommend I have had about 3 years of marine keeping but never ran canister filters etc on these tanks?

thanks :). is there any particular types os filtration or filter medias you'd recommend I have had about 3 years of marine keeping but never ran canister filters etc on these tanks?

Canister filters would be the best. Just go to ur lfs and look at the marineland canisters, there usually the best!!!if u don't want to spend so much money(as canisters can go for 200 dollars each) get 2 hang on filters instead!!! I would get 2 aquaclear60's

Go for the Eheim classic canisters there the best. Or another good filter the fluval u series internal filters. Remember you have to have at least double the amount of filtration for your size tank when keeping turtles. Turtles are super messy.

Ok thanks, any other tips? I'm assuming you can't sex them until they are older?

I'm guessing any plants I put in wouldn't stand a chance? also if I were to set up a tank to breed ghost shrimp, guppies or something would this be good food for the turtle?

Could I use a clear plastic box instead of a fish tank? Would I need to look for anything safety wise on the box?

Ok picking up my turtle tank tomorrow. I was wondering though can I use any old sand as the substrate as long as I clean it before use? Also found where I can get Mississippi map turtles round by me but they are about an hours drive away. Would a wet towel in a container be ok to transport them?

Also how sensitive are turtle to water temp? If i do water changes will I need to heat the water before hand

Thanks what about best way to travel and play sand or something substrate?

Yea turtles as long as you don't boil them I had the water on hot thought he loved it but he panicked used all his energy kept passing out so for the 10g I had it took all evening for it to even out in the meantime I used room temp water in a bucket with romance lettuce about his height In water so he didn't drown

and I now have a 50 gallon he is a lot happier and gets along with my pleco and has a basking area that fits perfectly with resting dockImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395778642.906340.jpg

Back
Top Bottom