Paludarium Inhabitants - Tree Frog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I'm only going to be setting up a 20G freshwater aquarium, but my long term dream is a paludarium. Ideally somewhere between 30 and 55 gallons. This will be a minimum of a year in the future, so I have time to plan very carefully.

I've been looking into what would be the best inhabitant for what I'm wanting to do, but it's been a struggle.

I also like the idea of adding fishes or inverts to the water portion, if the water portion is large enough to support it. I will already have cories, RCS and Endlers from my fresh water tank. I'm not married to this idea, but it would be an extra element to the tank and would give me a nice way to split populations if I wanted to.

I briefly thought about a hissing roach, but they drown at the drop of a hat. Most inverts just aren't going to work with water.

I don't want anything toxic. While I intend on being meticulous about securing the tank, I cannot guarantee an escape won't happen. I have cats and dogs and do not want to endanger them. So no salamanders or fire bellies.

I want something that will appreciate both the land and the water. So no axolotls. I can, however, adjust ratio as needed.

I don't want something that is going to live over 15 years. So no turtles.

I will not feed vertebrates. I also need high humidity for most of the plants I want, so that nixes most lizards and snakes.

Brackish or marine also wouldn't work with the plants, so no mudskippers or hermit crabs.

I don't want something that is super fast and likely to bolt every time I open the tank. Unless I'm missing something, that leaves just a few frog species.

Since I live in Texas, I like the idea of something native. Gray tree frogs seem like they would meet all my criteria. They don't need special lighting, just the light for the plants will do. They don't need a heater (ambient heat from the light is fine) and will tolerate my house temps year round. They are likely to be more affordable from a breeder and if they somehow escape into the wild and manage to survive, they are not invasive.

Is this sound logic? Does anyone have experience with gray tree frogs? Is there a different suggestion someone would make?

Its going to be really really hard to find anything since you marked off about 90% of what is usually kept.

I know! I'm making this much harder than most people lol

Honestly, I just want an excuse to make a slice of a tropical habitat with a water feature. It feels like a waste to not have some sort of animal to enjoy it, but I'd like to make the risk and maintenance as manageable as possible.

What about the African*Rainbow Crab - Cardisoma armatum

"The Rainbow Crab is also commonly known as the Patriot Crab due to its colors. *

They are found in both freshwater and brackish water conditions in their habitat so some salt doesn't hurt.

They do require land as it is not a fully aquatic crab. *A 50/50 setup of land and water would be preferable with some area with sand so they can burrow. *

These crabs love to eat fruits and veggies along with just about anything else (variety is key to good health). "

They should be on with freshwater.

Screenshot_2018-08-07-16-47-06.jpg

Frogs are vertebrates just saying lol. :p

Yes. What I meant was I will not feed vertebrates to my pets. I will feed insects. No pinkie mice, no feeder fish, etc.

That's an interesting suggestion, D-Fish! I'll have to research them.

Gotcha! I think grey tree frogs would work alright. Just got to give them vertical areas to climb

I'm a new paludarium hobbyist myself, land wise I have a Texas toad and anole... Both of which I caught in my apts in Arlington TX
They're doing good I feed them crickets, and whatever I catch like worms or swatted flies. What I will share wit you is water wise don't go for crayfish. I have a blue lobster aka crayfish, they say semi aggressive smh he eats all my fish just a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom