Red eared slider diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a RES for 2 years, I got him when he was very small. I have feed him reptomin and dried krill since I got him. He seems to be very healthy. I know he will eventually need to eat veggies, should this start now? Is once a day ok for feeding? Any recommendations on serving size? Thanks

Your best bet is to get water lettuce,duckweed,giant duckweed, all that floating pond stuff, most people will give it away due to its rapid growth rate.

I fed mine minnows once a week, I put 18 of them in there to last a week(had filter and mud bottom) but the rest of the time I would offer it the sticks and I always kept floating plants in there. You can go door to door on lots that have the ponds with the stuff in it, take it home rinse it well and put it in the tank too, thats where the free comes in and you could probably work something out where you can go back weekly for fresh greens.

I got mine as a rescue, 6" in a 10g tank, got her a 40B right away with heat,filter and lighting, but once she started eating the minnows and the greens she literally turned into a happy turtle and the colors were alot brighter and more distinct.

I miss my shelly but she moved to a pond with a RES named bob, she became a mom.

yup, they dont like dead ones and dont ever feed em feeder goldfish they arent right for the turtles disgestive system.

You can even set up a 20L or 20H heck even a 55g plastic trash can with a small heater and air stone/sponge filters and get the fatheads at the bait shop, feed em for a month, so you know they are eating healthy stuff and the turtle will reap the benefits.
I made the mistake of getting comets for her, she tore them in half but didnt eat em, and the ones that hid in the rocks grew rather large and I gave them to a neighbor for his pond.
heres shelly
2eq989k.jpg

Back
Top Bottom