Red-Eared Sliders Setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsharkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up a res tank. I have two five inch res in a 55 gal. I know I will have to upgrade eventually. But I want to know if I need something else. I have the following:

Maxi jet 1200
Ovation 1000 submersible filter
Heat lamp
UVB lamp
Regular light ( to help light the whole tank)
Natural river gravel (cleaned)
Heater with water at about 78 degrees
Floating pellet food that helps with growth
Live minnows for them to eat
55 gal.
Two five inch res

This whole setup cost me $190

I need to know if I need anything. I will take and greatly appreciate any advice because I am new to turtles and don't know a ton about them.

The UVB is 25 W
The food is by Zoo Med Natural Aquatic Turtle Food With added vitamins and minerals. It's for turtle that are 2-8".

Which brand UVB bulb? What is the rating (2.0, 5.0, 8.0, etc.)?

The best lighting for turtles is a mercury vapor bulb. They provide UVA, UVB, heat, and light, and do it better than aany types of lighting. If you bought all the stuff and can return it, it would be worth it to return the lighting you bought and get a mercury vapor bulb.

That food is good, but I would add another one or two high quality pellets. Hagen NutraFin Max Turtle Gammarus pellets is a great option. Even high quality fish foods can be a good addition to the mix.

The bulb is a vapor bulb. (sorry forgot to mention that)
The food that I feed the fish in the tank is a high quality fish food and sometimes I see the turtles eat it.

Back
Top Bottom