Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Saved a Bullfrog tadpole from department store! Gave him a 10 .gal new home. Tips?

Hey everyone. I'm so glad I found this website because I could use some of your expertise! I was shopping at Meijer's in Michigan and I always stop to look at the fish tanks for a minute (I'm a 29yr old man child, what can I say?....) . I noticed that they had a tadpole swimming around in the tank. When I asked the clerk "When did you start selling tadpoles?", she said that she had never noticed it before and was going to have to remove (i.e. flush the guy) it as they don't sell bullfrog tadpoles. I said I would take him if I could have him, and she said it was "better than the alternative" and hooked me up with an old Betta container to put him in.
Thats was one month ago on 5.4.2014, and since then I have upgraded him to a 10.gal tank and built a little pond like community for him. Ever since I found this website I've slowly been becoming a 'fish fanatic'. Keep floatin' my fellow aqua-heads!

Here's a video and pictures of the tank and all it's critters.

Fatty Taddy's old tank - Imgur

Tadpole Aquarium - YouTube

Tank creature list:
1x Bullfrog Tadpole - 'Fatty Taddy'
3x Guppy's - Gill, Coach McGurk, and The Cod Father
1x Goldfish - 'Might-Joe-John, the Black-Blonde' (Delocated reference)
2x Dwarf Frogs - Carl (Male) , Lenny (Female)
3x Ghost Shrimp - 'South Shrimpral L.A. gang'

Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Pacific Tree frog tadpole would eat boiled spinach and they lived in a 10gal. But one thing you can't do with a bull frog is once it grows let if go... Unless there native to were you live or you well be relecing a invasive animal into a environment.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Saved a Bullfrog tadpole from department store! Gave him a 10 .gal new home....

Boiled spinach is best to feed him up until his tail starts disappearing. At that point he will stop eating and will need to be moved to a semi aquatic set up. Once his tail is totally gone, he will start to eat again but it is best to feed him insects (crickets) at this point. In order to keep an adult bull frog you'd need probably at least a 60gal long semi aquatic tank set up. If he is native to where you live it really is best to let him go in a bog or pond somewhere.

I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago, my little guy was happily released.

In regard to your tank... You really have way too much in it and this is likely causing major stress to the tadpole. Goldfish should never be kept in something smaller than a 29gal. All of your fish require different temperature as well. I would do more research so you can get an idea of what your fish need. (Check out the sticky on goldfish at the top of the freshwater: cold water, native fish, and ponds section on here)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One thing is for sure: Fatty Taddy is a Jedi. May the 4th be with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Triptych - Rimless Club
Rcguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am happy to see your enthusiasm! It's awesome!

Just keep in mind that it's really important to build a community of species that share similar water/habitat parameters and who can coexist together without someone becoming prey. As an adult your bullfrog will need a bigger habitat. Also keep in mind that adult bullfrogs are carnivores, so you'll definitely want to separate him from anything that will fit in his mouth. That includes Lenny & Carla.

Good luck with everything!

Tags
frog, store, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com