seeding with springtails for mold control?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua Vivarious

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm experiencing mold in my vivarium for my Brazilian Rainbow Boa. it does appear that the combination of live plant vivarium and a BRB requiring super high humidity, makes for a bit of a challenge when it comes to mold management. I fed the plants using an organic fertilizer and didn't filter out the solids after making the water mix. the solids stayed at the surface and promptly began to mold. the enclosure has a bit of a musty smell and so naturally I'm concerned about mold management long term and keeping the reptile free of respiratory infection. I have not had luck finding a fan that is sprecifically designed to handle 80+ % humidity and am considering trying a USB computer fan for ventilation. in the mean time I'm relying on a high output bubbler pump piping air to one end and drawing from the other.

I got the bright idea to do a search on mold control in terrariums and found that seeding with sprintails can help, as they dine on mold and other detritus. but are they a good idea in a live vivarium with a snake? I am wondering if they would be compatible with my BRB? if anyone has experience with this, your feedback would be much appreciated!

Yes! Absolutely compatible!! Put them in asap and get that mold under control! Or you'll likely have to replace the substrate. Do you have a false bottom or drainage layer?

I love my fish!!!

Also in vivs with springtails ferts are not recommended as wastes from the animal are broken down and used by the plants in place of fertilizer. Dosing them with fertilizer in such a closed environment will cause you to have to prune VERY often lol. I learned that when on of my exoterras was FILLED with wandering Jew lol

I love my fish!!!

thanks guys. I checked out Josh's frogs and their video on springtails, it sounds like they are temperate, only breeding up to about 72 degrees. I have a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. from everything I've read, BRB's like it warm and very humid as juveniles, 80+% humidity and upper 70's. is this going to cause issues for the springtails? I really like the idea of using a biological control for the mold but don't want to have unrealistic expectations about creating a live plant vivarium for this type of snake if it's just too difficult to manage. any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Awesome! Good idea. I have another culture arriving tomorrow! Great cleanup crew and I've spotted my anoles catching a very small snack occasionally.

I love my fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom